What's new

Future trends in consumer computer industry

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm currently doing an analysis on the consumer computer industry (workstations, laptops, tablets, wearables, and IoT devices) as part of an assignment , and have been asked to discuss future trends (how it is relevant to business psychology is beyond me)

I was just wondering if any of you guys in the industry have any interesting insights? I'm googling around but well, you've got to love google search index. I'm getting little but rubbish from sites like gizmodo etc, where it seems to be an unqualified guess as opposed to an educated opinion etc.

Any thoughts would be welcome and appreciated :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think we are on the cusp of pervasive computing, where one device (phone type or smaller) being able to be connected to "smart" accessories/environments will allow for a true always on and always connected experience. Flat Surfaces being able to be used as monitors or even holographic displays emitting from the mobile compute device. But most interactions will be through voice, bots and machine learning.

This will require the last of the hold outs to embrace cloud computing and most heavy lifting will come from pooled compute, storage and networking. 5G Connectivity will hasten this future as we finally get true broadband speeds wirelessly.

The shift will move on how do we best convey and communicate under this new system as older paradigms such as long formed typed communications and endless spreadsheets are better suited for static situations.

As a side effect we will silo more and I'm afraid that social interaction will decrease and feeling of isolation will increase in the near term.

Also, we will need to address the affect of automation, ML and robotics on traditional work flows as more humans will be displaced.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cheers Jeff. I've already covered the first two paragraphs, found some stuff from Cisco talking about machine learning and fog computing and all that lot. But the rest is food for thought, especially about the form of communication.

Now I just have to work out how to get everything into 200 words (don't get me started, education can be a joke, they're now looking at reducing assignments to one per course because writing 3000 words over a 3 month period was just too tough on the poor students)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
May as well go for 140 character assignments... that's all that's needed anyway.

There is some benefit to making a quality report vs blathering on covering every possibility. alas we used to call that a conclusion. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check the models in Star Trek, Star Wars, The Terminator, and the Matrix; there are some parallels and corollaries. maybe you didn't mean that far in the future but again some parts are already present.

For voice dominated interaction people will, need to learn to speak with their inner silent voice as opposed to any crowded room where chattering people create such an awful din, that's totally unworkable.

The color of projection surfaces will need to be accounted for lest the image be compromised by like colored areas disappearing.

Social networking is quite dangerous and can easily get out of hand, frankly I'm surprised certain individuals are still alive or their namesakes haven't been offed in cases of mistaken identity. I think it's just a matter of time.

Security of IoT devices will never happen despite the eventual laws passed mandating the same after the nth catastrophe precipitated by weak security of IoT devices.

Just a few thoughts...