What's new

Games List for SP3?

Stephan

Lots of games are working on it. Just had problems with Cities Skylines... It can't run well on SP3. (normal as it requires lots of CPU usage)

codrut

I tried League of Legends and DOTA 2 a bit. They are both playable. LoL is less demanding than DOTA. LoL works in full resolution. I have the i5/8Gb/256.
Now I play Elder Scrolls Online. It runs okay at 1280x720 with textures and subsampling at High, everything else on Off.
You have to install the latest Intel driver and set it to Maximum Performance. Also you can try the Intel XTU. I was able to undervolt to a very stable -59mV for CPU and Cache and - 79mV for Graphics. YMMV. Also the Windows power plan should be set to Performance, this sets the Graphics from 600 MHz to 1000 MHz.
Whatever game you try you have to unset Antialising and Shadow as Intel does not support this.
Also, as you can see, an external cooler blowing air on the upper right back of the Surface helps as the SP3 is power throttling. You can use the Intel XTU to monitor this. Note that it is not Thermal throttling but Power throttling. Likely a sensor in the SP3 is cutting the power above a certain temperature and that is why an external fan helps.
Don't forget that Intel produced a special edition of their CPUs for the Surface. The silicon die is the same but the casing is different, that's why it is different.
Hope this helps.

Gary.M

I have been playing GTA 5 on pretty high settings. Admittedly this was via Steam streaming. Works incredibly well.

Vega Secure'A

But how do you guys stop the SP3 from throttling? I tried some games and for the first 5 minutes I get amazing frame rates but after a while they drop due to power throttling. I want to play games as well....

Hmm... I haven't run into this problem... yey. I game for like 4-5 hours on weekdays and almost all day weekends and unless I am running some other application(s) in the background, or my connection falters (Wi-Fi), or the game's servers are overloaded (currently happening in LoL), I don't see a drop in frame rate. Sorry I can't be more help here.

vxm

Hm, I notice some throttling in more demanding titles, but for example, playing Pillars of Eternity I don't experience drops in framerates. For gaming I'm usually using external fan to get better cooling anyway, it deals with throttling perfectly.