What's new

Getting my new Surface Pro 3 today.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate hearing that because I just bought an i3. I don't do a whole lot of things that require a lot of power, plus I like that I can just go to Windows to download programs.
It all depends... one professional reviewer loves his Atom powered Windows tablet which is less powerful than the i3. Try doing everything you can think of and then some, to see if you encounter any trouble, if it does that you should be fine.

nnthemperor

I had an i3 but after a few days (and realizing Staples had a $100 off coupon I could use) I went up to the i5 128gb version.

The one issue I had with the i3 was that a few apps from the Windows store didn't work on the i3. However when I switched to the i5, they ran fine. The couple that come to mind are Minion Rush and the ESPN app. What's interesting is they also don't run on my daughter's i3 based laptop either.

So my guess is some poorly written apps, but just giving a heads up to my issue with the i3.

The ESPN app runs perfectly well on my i3. I'm assuming there's only one ESPN app. Don't have Minion Rush. What didn't run was GT Racing 2. Funny enough, it ran on my Clovertrail atom Asus Vivotab tf810.

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

It all depends... one professional reviewer loves his Atom powered Windows tablet which is less powerful than the i3. Try doing everything you can think of and then some, to see if you encounter any trouble, if it does that you should be fine.

I'm running a lot of tests. Lots of music and video's. I watched the pilot episode of The Incredible Hulk (old 70's TV show), which is around 90 minutes. The back right side was pretty hot after, and that concerned me a bit.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm running a lot of tests. Lots of music and video's. I watched the pilot episode of The Incredible Hulk (old 70's TV show), which is around 90 minutes. The back right side was pretty hot after, and that concerned me a bit.
It might get warm or hot to some but don't be concerned about it.

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

It might get warm or hot to some but don't be concerned about it.

You don't think it would overheat having a Netflix marathon or something similar? One of the reasons I got the i3 was because it had less chance of overheating compared to the i5 and i7.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You don't think it would overheat having a Netflix marathon or something similar? One of the reasons I got the i3 was because it had less chance of overheating compared to the i5 and i7.
At worst it might shutdown but shouldn't hurt anything though it might be disconcerting. Its designed to self regulate within operating temperature including a safety margin.

kundas1

have you done all the updates? also if it gets warm or hot don't worry although I don't think it should get hot just watching netflix... should it? I don't know because she has the i3 and that it has to work harder? but on my i5 it doesn't get even warm... *shrugs*

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

I hope I didn't make a mistake getting the i3. So far, I really like it, though. This new Surface replaced a 7 year old HP laptop, and really is a big improvement for me.