What's new

Good place to repair Mircosoft RT

ktovey

Hello,

I bought a Surface RT a while ago, it was a refurbished one that I got online. It's been working fine until I recently got bought a keyboard from John Lewis. The keyboard just wouldn't click in, I took it back to John Lewis and they tested the keyboard for me to see if the keyboard was faulty and it worked fine on the surface they had in store. They said it look like there is a problem with the magnets and I would have to get it repaired. Can anyone recommend somewhere who could fix it?

Thank you :):)

kundas1

I think that would be very expensive and I would buy a Bluetooth keyboard instead... but I never heard of magnets breaking or not working, perhaps try cleaning where they are with a Q-tip and a bit of alcohol and make sure no metal debris is stuck to the magnets. that one time happened to me and once it was cleaned it was fine again...

jimkraz

I would agree with kindas1 in hat try cleaning all the contacts first off, if that does not work then a bluetooth keyboard or as I did a wireless keyboard and mouse set with mini dongle.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both the Keyboard connector spline and the Surface are or should be magnetic. Something metal (metal nail file, small screwdriver, or a nail; of course make sure they are magnetic and preferably not already magnetized) should be attracted to both the Surface 2 in the channel to either side of the 6 pin connector and the same area of the keyboard spline.

Inspect the channel of the surface where the keyboard attaches with a bright light and magnifying glass to ensure they are clear of any debris.

Connect the keyboard it should fit up tight against the Surface and into the channel (Note: the keyboard only attaches to one side of the Surface next to the Windows Button.) Ensure the keyboard nibs and spline are not nicked or deformed.

After all that and if there's no magnetic action in the Surface or Keyboard we'll need to issue a BOLO for the Surface magnet bandit. :)
unless the magnets are installed backwards and are repelling... :rolleyes:

Last edited: