Good to buy?

Discussion in 'Surface Go' started by Jason Moorash, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Jason Moorash

Jason Moorash New Member

My Device:
    None
    Good morning all,
    Need advice from you pros.
    Thinking about getting the 4gb 64gb
    Basically for keeping record of my stamp collection software that only runs on windows and a baseball card collection program again that only runs on windows. Both are basically excel programs just beefed up.
    I have a full time laptop with windows but would like to have something lighter to take with me when I am out and about.
    Will this machine be fast enough? I plan on using a micro sd card for storage.
    Thanks
    jason

2. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

Fast enough?

I don't know anything about that software. How does it run on the lowest spec PC you have and what is it? With some point of reference I could make a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess). :D

3. Jason Moorash

Jason Moorash New Member

My Device:
    None
    Well I have a windows laptop with a i7 and 8gb of ram...needless to say it has no issues. I would guess that these programs would barely task the go as they are pretty simple programs. Its not like I'm editing movies or anything. I went to Best buy to play with one and I opened many programs and it seemed to handle them well enough.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Other
    I use my Surface Go to handle some large data sets in Excel and Power BI without issue...mine is a 8/128 version though

5. Jason Moorash

Jason Moorash New Member

My Device:
    None
    Well, I'm going to open mine up, get rid of windows s and give it a test....

6. Turbo4AWD

Turbo4AWD Active Member

My Device:
    Other
    I was in a similar situation when I got my Surface 3. I already had a full blown laptop (gaming laptop at that) and just wanted something smaller and lighter to travel with for basic tasks nothing too crazy. After using my Surface 3 for little bit, I realized that maybe I wanted a LITTLE more power than it had to offer and ended up jumping to a Pro, but for the task you described, I think it's worth trying out the Go and see how it pans out. It may make you upgrade or it may not, but I definitely found it worthwhile getting the Surface 3. I just didn't know I was going to fully upgrade to a Pro until I realized I wanted more from the Surface 3 than it had to offer during real-world, everyday, (albeit "mostly consumption and casual") use! lol.

I'm interested in finding out how it works out. Let us know!