What's new

Great Surface Pen 4 Performance on Surface Pro 3

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Nope it is on the device...

I stand corrected it is on both....
Actually my SP4 pen will in fact stick to the side of my metal desktop case. It is either a magnet or has been magnetized.

I'll be darned there magnets and both the pen and the device... just tested it... I can attach the mold pen to themSP4 using the metal pen clip, and the SP4 Pen does stick to metal.... very cool

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The magnets on the Surface Pen 4 also will stick to the Surface Pro 3 around the charging port, but rather loosely.

So I added this item to clip my pen to the Surface Pro 3.
Protective Skin and pen holder for my Surface Pro 3 | Microsoft Surface Forums

clippy.jpg

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I stand corrected it is on both....

I'll be darned there magnets and both the pen and the device... just tested it... I can attach the mold pen to themSP4 using the metal pen clip, and the SP4 Pen does stick to metal.... very cool

Yep I tried taking a pic of my old pen and new pen side by side and couldn't separate them. The magnet on the new pen was strong enough to keep them tight together.

Doesn't work so well keeping the pen on the device though. Better than the old pen on the power magnet though.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've seen someone here say that no the new nibs don't work on the older pen. I have both so I could try it out but I haven't yet!

Is there a tool for getting the nibs out? I must admit I've used my teeth in the past lol!

I can confirm having just tested, the new nibs will not fit the old pen.

I also have to resort to a knife or teeth to get the new nibs out of the pan. Nothing to get purchase on.

Ummm Whoops I just found the tool on the end of the extra tip box... it's like a tweezer device. However it took a few attempts to get my HB nib out of my pen... teeth are more efficient!

slothead

How can you tell which pen is which? I got the SP3 pen with my SP3 and have now ordered one that may be the SP4 pen from MS, but I'm not sure it is. How can I tell?

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
How can you tell which pen is which? I got the SP3 pen with my SP3 and have now ordered one that may be the SP4 pen from MS, but I'm not sure it is. How can I tell?

The new pen does not have a purple button on the top and does not have two buttons on the side. It also has one flat side ... more like a standard pencil in shape. It's also quite a bit bigger.

It is confusing on the MS website as the older pen is called Surface Pen and the newer pen is also called Microsoft Surface Pen. When I ordered mine I changed my order and MS re-ordered for me but picked the wrong type. on the UK site the new pen is slightly more expensive than the old one and comes with 4 spare nibs which are also shown in the picture.

slothead

The new pen does not have a purple button on the top and does not have two buttons on the side. It also has one flat side ... more like a standard pencil in shape. It's also quite a bit bigger.

It is confusing on the MS website as the older pen is called Surface Pen and the newer pen is also called Microsoft Surface Pen. When I ordered mine I changed my order and MS re-ordered for me but picked the wrong type. on the UK site the new pen is slightly more expensive than the old one and comes with 4 spare nibs which are also shown in the picture.
Thanks Moonsurface. What I ordered was called the Microsoft Surface Pen, and it says that it is "Compatible with Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book" so I figured it was the SP4 pen, but the image they show has the button on top and looks identical to what I already have. I'm supposed to get it by the 24th, so I'll just wait and see what the thing really looks like.

slothead

Another stylus/pen question:
The SP3 pen uses a AAAA battery. Does the SP4 pen use the same size battery, or is it a permanent rechargeable battery?