What's new

Guide: All About Battery Life

Haldi

i think my battery is borked ? i don't see any mW values. is this a known bug ?

Ia7KavV.png

Bruno28

I got a SP3 i5 258gb 8gb and i cant seem to get over 5 hours of use. It has got 53 charge cycles now and charge capacity of 40,782 mWh.

I get at max 5 hours watching videos on VLC that are 720p at lowest brightness.
Is this normal performance?

Ive seen people who reviewd saying they can get 7.5 hours with brightness 100% and over 8.5 hours of video with brightness at lowest.

Should i try and reset and reinstall everything?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I got a SP3 i5 258gb 8gb and i cant seem to get over 5 hours of use. It has got 53 charge cycles now and charge capacity of 40,782 mWh.

I get at max 5 hours watching videos on VLC that are 720p at lowest brightness.
Is this normal performance?

Ive seen people who reviewd saying they can get 7.5 hours with brightness 100% and over 8.5 hours of video with brightness at lowest.

Should i try and reset and reinstall everything?
Its your choice of Video Player, VLC (and most Win32 Programs) are battery hogs, Universal Apps impact battery far less then traditional Windows Applications.

Bruno28

Thanks for reply

The choice of vlc was because of the file format. It's .mkv and and the player on windows 8 that can play this, only plays in full screen so it doesn't allow me to do other things while video is playing.

I was also using Firefox browser and I ram from 100% battery to about 90% in like 20 minutes.
I was able to run maximum 5 hours 20 mins brwowing Internet. Is this also because I'm not the IE? Would I get better battery life using EI?

Also with no apps open and CPU utilisation fluctuates from 1% to 8%, is that normal?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for reply

The choice of vlc was because of the file format. It's .mkv and and the player on windows 8 that can play this, only plays in full screen so it doesn't allow me to do other things while video is playing.

I was also using Firefox browser and I ram from 100% battery to about 90% in like 20 minutes.
I was able to run maximum 5 hours 20 mins brwowing Internet. Is this also because I'm not the IE? Would I get better battery life using EI?

Also with no apps open and CPU utilisation fluctuates from 1% to 8%, is that normal?
Using the Modern UI IE will vastly improve your battery life....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
How long are you guys getting of video watching? On downloaded movies/tv series and youtube?
Last summer I flew to Europe and I watched 4 movies for a total of 6 hours and listen to music for 2 hours, when I landed I had 20% battery life, flight was 9.5 hours....

Bruno28

Wow. So I'm getting 5 hours max, on 720p videos with brightness at lowest and not using anything else.
So would you say that there might be a problem with my battery? I'm trying to find out so that if I need to get in touch with support and Exchange my sp3 I'll do it sooner rather than later.
My cycle count on battery is 56 charges only.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. So I'm getting 5 hours max, on 720p videos with brightness at lowest and not using anything else.
So would you say that there might be a problem with my battery? I'm trying to find out so that if I need to get in touch with support and Exchange my sp3 I'll do it sooner rather than later.
My cycle count on battery is 56 charges only.
Do a factory reset prior to assuming its a hardware issue. Also, change your media player, try Media Monkey or the VLC Universal App....