GWX configManager constantly running?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by eric anderson, Apr 20, 2015.

1. eric anderson

eric anderson New Member

Apparently, it's some utility that lets ms check your system to update to windows 10. THis thing just keeps running at 25% cpu all the time and starting to really annoy me. Fans come on and battery drains. Anybody else getting this issue?

2. buers

buers Member

About a week ago, the web site of some German computer magazines had an article of how to get rid of the GWX.exe (Get Windows X=10)

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Windows-10-Downloader-Tipps-zur-Deinstallation-2596770.html

Maybe, you can use a translation service to read it. Summary: In Windows Update search for KB3035583 and uninstall it. Then reboot.

In Update settings, make sure that the following is unchecked: "Handle optional update the same way as important updates" (no idea, how the exact phrasing is in English), right click on KB3035583 and choose "don't show this update" or similar.

eric anderson likes this.
  3. jaekqubp

jaekqubp Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Thanks for posting this. I was trying to figure out what the deal was with that process.

4. kozak79

kozak79 Active Member

After some recent updates my i7 SP3 would be burning up and the fan blowing non stop. I saw the GWX configManager running at 30% constantly. Uninstalling the KB3035583 update fixed it. This is really annoying, I hope they fix whatever the problem with this update is.

jaekqubp likes this.