What's new

Had my Surface Book stolen yesterday.

Orlbuckeye

A have a friend's company doing home improvement doors and windows. Well a contractor brought his son to help him work. I get home from work and it's gone. I call the friend and he calls 3 people that were working well one (the son doesn't) his phone. Finally he admits and my friend meets the father and gets a laptop in it's bag. He brings it to me and its wet. Well it didn't work. So my friend asks fro value and i get receipt and was going to file a claim. But in AM father call my friend and he said the kid put it in water in case there was a tracking app. So father agree to take the money out of sons check to reimburse me. Well they are 150 off this weekend. The cloud helped in this situation.

Seneleron

I second that: Friend or not, I would file a police report for documentation. On the bright side, at least you got reimbursement and closure.

OP
Orlbuckeye

Orlbuckeye

He threw water on it so he couldn't be traced eventhough he could be traced by one of 3 workers. All workers were bonded.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sad story.

You be the judge, @Orlbuckeye , whether you can help the kid with his future by filing with the police, or by just moving on, with the belief that he has learned a lesson. The point is, to help the kid.

HeavyHanded

Values, man, values..kid needs to be taught some morals. It's sad, but I think if you put 10 teens in that same situation at least one would swipe Surface Book. I'm glad you got your money back. Hopefully your new Surface Book is better than the last.

OP
Orlbuckeye

Orlbuckeye

Actually it is. When MS first released and you powered up they didn't start configuring right away. You had to do a restart and then it went into setup but they didn't tell you that and I had to call support. Also the one click for Onenote on the oen stopped working for me on the old one and this worked out of the box.

OP
Orlbuckeye

Orlbuckeye

Actually I took the stolen one in for the tech to look at and he said if I ship it back they may send me a new one. So a created and case and they sent me a shipping label. So I will take it to FEDEX after work. The model i bought was the i5 256 gb DGPU was 150 off 1899 to 1749. They gave me an option of a docking station instead of the 150 off (Docking station is 200). They also offered me Office 365 and a bag for 50.00 which I declined.

JaeMelo

I really hope this kid got more from the parents than a deduction from this check; otherwise it would seem like he may be bound to repeat the same offense and possibly ruin his future because of this getting off easy without any repercussions situation.

OP
Orlbuckeye

Orlbuckeye

I really hope this kid got more from the parents than a deduction from this check; otherwise it would seem like he may be bound to repeat the same offense and possibly ruin his future because of this getting off easy without any repercussions situation.

Well I was thinking the same but he also lost his job and probably won't be able to use the experience on resume and sure won't use the reference. He was bonded under the job and his dad is licensed.