What's new

Handling the S3

kristalsoldier

Hi all...

DISCLAIMER: Essentially a vacuous post/ thread!

As some of you may know, I am an avid user of the Surface devices. Currently, I use a SP3 as my main device (the KB - dark blue, I might add! - is attached 99% of the time) and a S3 as my dedicated tablet (I use the Pen but I don't use or have the KB), which has replaced my iPad Air brilliantly (sorry, I could not help but add that bit of superfluity!).

Needless to say, I use the devices constantly for reading and writing, which are two very important aspects of my job (or at least what I perceive my job to be!). And, since I know I handle my devices very frequently, I am very careful in how I handle them. My devices rarely, if ever, have scratches and no bumps or dents etc.

But accidents do happen and one happened earlier today. While packing my bag, I was moving stuff around my desk when my S3 which was sitting on a pile of papers slipped and fell on the floor. It made contact with the floor on the side without the buttons and then keeled over sickeningly onto the floor screen first.

Notice something that happens when such accidents happen - things seem to move in slow motion and often times we find ourselves staring at impending doom with stupefaction (or a sense of morbid fascination). Time slows down so we record each moment leading to the catastrophe which we can play back with painful accuracy long after the event.

I had the same experience! As the screen met the surface of the floor, I squeezed my eyes shut and held my breath for a second. And then - just like that - the moment passed and time returned to its normal speed. I leaned forward to pick up what I thought would be a shattered or in some way damaged S3.

The S3 must have fallen onto the floor from a distance of 3 ft or thereabouts. On uncovered floor! But, it was in pristine condition! No scratch! No dent! No nothing!!! I have carefully looked it over. I am not saying that this is an attribute of the device (though, in part, it could be). It could be - most likely was - pure coincidence. Whatever be the case, it involved the S3 in a situation where it could have been pretty badly knocked up (and I don't have MS Complete!).

Have you dropped your S3 during your use of it? How did it fare?

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just as this slow time warp happens with bad events it can happen with good events as well. It's happened to me more than once and it might happen to you so... Look Out! :)

BillJ

I had a similar experience with time distortion, albeit associated with an unhappy outcome. I was using my SP3 at work, carrying it around from one room to the next as I was documenting different things. A colleague was fascinated with this, and asked to try for herself. After handing her the device, I turned to leave and then heard a loud crashing noise accompanied by the tinkling of shards of glass.

Instead of turning around immediately, I stood frozen for what seemed an eternity, as I was trying to deny to myself what I had just heard. When I finally drew up the courage to look, there was my little machine all in tatters. My poor colleague was in tears. I then heard myself say, without any willful intention, "it's all right, I have Microsoft Complete!"

Stuff happens... or not.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I had a similar experience with time distortion, albeit associated with an unhappy outcome. I was using my SP3 at work, carrying it around from one room to the next as I was documenting different things. A colleague was fascinated with this, and asked to try for herself. After handing her the device, I turned to leave and then heard a loud crashing noise accompanied by the tinkling of shards of glass.

Instead of turning around immediately, I stood frozen for what seemed an eternity, as I was trying to deny to myself what I had just heard. When I finally drew up the courage to look, there was my little machine all in tatters. My poor colleague was in tears. I then heard myself say, without any willful intention, "it's all right, I have Microsoft Complete!"

Stuff happens... or not.

Gosh!!! That MS Complete did come in handy then!!!

bronsky

My S3 fell from a height of about 3'from table it was resting on while charging. Thought it was a goner but no damage. It looks more fragile than it is.

Stuff happens... or not.
my co workers probably think I'm rude because I refuse to allow others to handle the surface or my phone

quadtronix

Just got my Surface 3 yesterday so haven't had the chance to drop test it yet... Lol! But its good to hear that in most cases from this thread, it held up like a champ.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Just got my Surface 3 yesterday so haven't had the chance to drop test it yet... Lol! But its good to hear that in most cases from this thread, it held up like a champ.

LOL!!! Yeah...don't even think about it and pray that such a mishap does not befall you!