What's new

hands-on, let down

mtalinm

got to play with one at the Boston MSFT store this morning. overall a letdown.

first the positives though
+ keyboard is quite good
+ screen is big and beautiful
+ hinge looks cool
+ detaching is also cool
+ quite thin, looks "appley" if you're into that

what I didn't like
- screen is really wobbly. of course due to the weight of having the tablet plug into. so wobbly it is hard to picture using this on my lap. probably OK on a table...like a Surface
- the detachable screen (why they call it Clipboard I dunno) is really too big to be used in portrait / tablet mode. just too big. even SP3 is big to me (while S3 is perfect)
- looks terrible not to have screen flush with keyboard when closed. really weird.

probably will pass.

zhenya

To be clear it appears you are talking about the Surface Book, not the Surface Pro 4. Should go in the other forum.

They are calling it a clipboard because it does not have the connectivity or the battery life for them to want to market it as a full-featured tablet.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is the screen glare? Looked like a lot at the show but they have a billion lights in those places :)

OP
M

mtalinm

I'm so sorry, I posted in the wrong forum! Can I reroute to correct forum somehow, or should I delete the thread?

CrippsCorner

Screen wobble could be kind of annoying, but nothing else you mentioned would be an issue for me. Hope I get to see one soon! Even though I won't be buying one... I think it's the most interesting computer in a long time.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
BTW, Best Buy has them (some) for pre order. Anyone know if they have demo units in stores?

zhenya

Wobble will be a big issue. It's one of the fundamental problems with building a convertible like this - it looked like they had it solved with this complex hinge. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

OP
M

mtalinm

did not notice glare, but I wasn't looking for it. my bad - that is one of my major gripes w/Surface

xps15 w/ tiny bezels is looking better

I went to the MS Store in San Diego yesterday and the screen wobble was the first thing I noticed. That is really the only thing deterring me from buying it, especially for that price.

I really wish they had just gone with the Yoga type design. The hinge is solid on my TPY. No wobble at all.