What's new

hangouts and touch keyboard

Kris

I use hangouts a lot. It's a huge annoyance that even when I have the keyboard attached the touch keyboard still appears. it also shrinks the windows of hangouts to the point of making any chance of reading a message impossible. Is there anyway to disable the touch keyboard when I have the cover keyboard attached?

malberttoo

I use hangouts a lot. It's a huge annoyance that even when I have the keyboard attached the touch keyboard still appears. it also shrinks the windows of hangouts to the point of making any chance of reading a message impossible. Is there anyway to disable the touch keyboard when I have the cover keyboard attached?

Are you using Chrome?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Google Hangouts works great on my gigabit LAN connected PC, I don't understand why it doesn't work the same... Truth is, you just don't notice what an inefficient resource hog it is in some environments. Programmers don't worry about Memory, CPU, Network, or Storage they just keep throwing junk in the can until it works then move on to the next crapware project. Common theme all around ... Google x is slow, causes high CPU utilization, and sucks the life out of batteries.

OP
K

Kris

I have not reported it to google... everything I have asked or reported to them in the past went unanswered... thats why I came here. I found a small work around. Open the keyboard and set it to floating style, while hangouts is closed. This only seems to work for a little while, for some reason the SP3 always wants to change it back to the half screen mode.

Morgan

GreyFox7, you shou7ld give the programmers at Google more credit. The truth is you have no idea how hard it is to maintain decent video quality with weak and varying connections. When you maintain a connection that's coming and going you have to put the CPU to work to maintain enough connection to give the appearance of continuous connection. Let's not forget that people in your Hangout might be at a Starbuck's, sharing their Wi-Fi connection with a butt load of other customers. Hangouts may be a resource hog, but a crappy experience would be much more unacceptable.