What's new

Has Chrome just been optimised far better?

spinachpie

Everything is appearing larger and generally easier to see and touch on my Surface. I did just re-install Chrome, maybe it's an update. Or am I imagining things?

leeshor

They did have a new release, with better rendering, but that may be all of the improvements.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like my data too much to share with Google, I don't care how many ad blockers they let you run. To block it they have to see it and if they see it they already have it. They run a good illusion to make you think the Matrix is real all while Agent Smith is all over your business. :)

TPadden

Regardless, it's a vastly inferior browser.
I disagree; it's a cross platform browser; which IE isn't. If I could use IE as my browser on Android (phone and tablet), Mac, as well my Windows platform (which I use at best 30% of the time), I might agree.

Yes, I know cross platform RemoteIE is available on the cloud; talk about vastly inferior; but at least a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

TunaSurface

Since today sometimes when I touch the screen it opens this magnifying glass thing.
It's super annoying, trying to view an http://www.imdb.com/ video fullscreen is literally impossible.
Anyone else have this?

JoshB

I disagree; it's a cross platform browser; which IE isn't. If I could use IE as my browser on Android (phone and tablet), Mac, as well my Windows platform (which I use at best 30% of the time), I might agree.

Yes, I know cross platform RemoteIE is available on the cloud; talk about vastly inferior; but at least a step in the right direction.

I am with you there TPadden. Seemlessly having access to all my current settings accross all my devices is extremely great. IE metro runs nice and looks pretty, but not syncing my bookmarks and other data is too much to skip on. I am going to open Chrome tonight, see how it looks. I have been running canary and have not seen any change in UI features as you described in the original post.

And the pop-up blockers are excellent. I have it set to not block any google ads. I am fine with google ads. I hate ads that blare sound at me or flash ridiculous colors in attempts to fraud people. They are extremely useful for my parents systems. If they see that they have won something in an ad, they are going to click it... because old and ignorant.

On the point of information stealing and the such, I think some people are just really paranoid. I know they have access to some of my information, it just does not effect me as much as it seems to effect some people.

lhauser

Modern IE is far better than any version of IE I've ever used, but Chrome will remain my primary browser. I use IE if I need to be on battery for a long time, since it's far more battery efficient than Chrome, but the lack of some plugins can seriously inhibit my browsing habits. IE does a decent job of blocking pop-ups, but I'm a serious Pocket user, and having to go through a couple of steps to save something to Pocket for later reading/reference is a pain, as is clicking in multiple directions (or pulling out my phone) to fill in a password I don't use all the time -- how trustworthy is the IE password repository, as opposed to my LastPass repository? I also prefer my primary bookmarks in the order I want them in, not the alpha order IE insists on (am I missing a way to turn this behavior off?).

All that being said, I've put a lot of work in to making Modern IE useable, but it needs to make a few changes to have a chance of being my primary browser on the Surface.

bluegrass

To each his own. IE is mine. Been using it long before there were other browsers around. I don't intend to ever use and Apple or Android device so cross platform doesn't mean anything to me.

kristalsoldier

Talking about browsers, have any of you noticed that MUI IE has become a bit smoother after the most recent updates - I don't mean the firmware updates, but the big one that just preceded it?

kristalsoldier

Modern IE is far better than any version of IE I've ever used, but Chrome will remain my primary browser. I use IE if I need to be on battery for a long time, since it's far more battery efficient than Chrome, but the lack of some plugins can seriously inhibit my browsing habits. IE does a decent job of blocking pop-ups, but I'm a serious Pocket user, and having to go through a couple of steps to save something to Pocket for later reading/reference is a pain, as is clicking in multiple directions (or pulling out my phone) to fill in a password I don't use all the time -- how trustworthy is the IE password repository, as opposed to my LastPass repository? I also prefer my primary bookmarks in the order I want them in, not the alpha order IE insists on (am I missing a way to turn this behavior off?).

All that being said, I've put a lot of work in to making Modern IE useable, but it needs to make a few changes to have a chance of being my primary browser on the Surface.

Understandable. I use IE (mostly the MUI version - both on my SP3 and my now rarely used desktop machine). I use the Reading List app to save stuff to read later and since I use a Windows Phone, the experience is seamless across my devices. I also sync IE across my devices so this means I have all the passwords across devices though I am quite sure that the in-built IE password manager is not as secure as something like Last Pass. I gave up on Chrome (though I do have it installed - like I do Firefox - on my desktop machine and SP3) when I migrated from Gmail to Outlook. This happened when I went in for the original Surface RT, which is something that I have continued through my use of the Surface 2 (RT) and now the SP3.