What's new

Has performance improved any since release?

mva5580

I picked up a Surface 3 shortly after release (4gb/128gb) and one of the things that I just ended up being disappointed in was performance in even relatively simple tasks, most notably for me web browsing. It just felt like the web browser lagged a bit in opening, and definitely on loading web pages. I think my main point of reference/expectation was for it to be at least as good as, or very comparable to the newest iPad, and in the end I didn't feel that way and ended up returning it.

Does anyone feel like the web browsing (and overall) experience has improved any since release, whether it be from updates or switching to Windows 10? If something has been done, or could be done about the web browsing I would definitely do a permanent switch, but I don't know it just left a bad taste in my mouth and I felt like I would end up being disappointed in other things about it too.

sigh.....sorry about the extra 'd' on performance. Weak.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine has been much better since editing the windows Hosts file, but it is still slow in the way you describe, imo. Almost never used the s3 with 8.1

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Has performance improved any since release?"
Nope.

Go into desktop IE - Manage Add-ons - add Easy List, Easy Privacy, and Stop Google Tracking. Those are essential and adding them in Desktop IE also adds them to Metro IE. Note embedded YouTube videos wont work with stop google tracking hut they will play on YouTube.

Using a Hosts file for blocking is even better although some poorly coded sites might not work completely... ZDNET for example...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to add some additional perspective, Flash is a factor as well since there are tons of Ads using Flash which an iPad won't load so you should disable Flash as well for a similar experience.

Benchmark wise on Web based tests they are very very close.

74100.png
74101.png
74102.png

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those benchmarks sem to mesh very well with my opinion on the S3's power. That it is about the same performance as a tablet (aka slow), but that given what it is running it is still impressive regardless.

I just saw a news article detailing a study by PC World regarding disabling flash in edge etc, and they saw upto 80% performance increases with flash disabled.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those benchmarks sem to mesh very well with my opinion on the S3's power. That it is about the same performance as a tablet (aka slow), but that given what it is running it is still impressive regardless.

I just saw a news article detailing a study by PC World regarding disabling flash in edge etc, and they saw upto 80% performance increases with flash disabled.
Well as Tablets go, it's *fast* :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Espcially considering it's an Atom. ;)
It seems Intel has gotten Atom pretty close to parity with ARM at least at the high end, I cant speak to the lower tiers. Although they need to keep the pedal to the metal as it's a fast moving segment and there are still some gaps.

I expect the A9/A9X to be at least Quad core this year and possibly an Octa Core Big Little arrangement and they will be pushing the graphics performance as well. Sammy is on a roll with their Exynos 74xx series and follow-ons and Qualcomm cant be counted out by a long shot, although the Snapdragon 810 bit them, the 820 looks to be back on target. Still none of this holds a candle to Intel Core and the power envelopes are starting to converge.

lookingforward

I have the 128GB/4GB Surface 3, black typing cover, pen, 64GB Samsung Pro microSD card and I am absolutely loving it. But I do know exactly what you are talking about. The Metro IE browser on Win 8.1 lagged all the time. I was really annoyed how long it would take to load sites and I had trouble scrolling through them while the pages loaded.

With Windows 10, the Edge browser flies after I edited the host using a batch file I found in a thread on Windows Central that was discussing how badly that site runs on the Surface 3. I used to have lag on this site as well and I would have to type my posts in Notepad before copying and pasting. Well, I have zero typing lag as I write this post in the Edge browser. The overall performance is very snappy with no hint of lag. I still consider the Surface 3 as a tablet first and a laptop second. But as of now, I am 100% happy with it in both of these roles.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well as Tablets go, it's *fast*

As far as tablets go those benchmarks seem to suggest it is getting it's ass stomped in the tablet form factor ;)

SP3 rather moved the goal posts on what a fast tablet is. But yes, it's fast compared to traditional tablets, but that does not as such mean it is fast, because traditional tablets aren't :p but as I say, given that it is running full windows and all the apps etc, it is fairly impressive to be able to do all of that, at roughly the same performance as an Air 2, and at a cheaper price point. Almost impossible to now claim that ipads aren't a complete rip off when stacked against this kind of competitor.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as tablets go those benchmarks seem to suggest it is getting it's ass stomped in the tablet form factor ;)

SP3 rather moved the goal posts on what a fast tablet is. But yes, it's fast compared to traditional tablets, but that does not as such mean it is fast, because traditional tablets aren't :p but as I say, given that it is running full windows and all the apps etc, it is fairly impressive to be able to do all of that, at roughly the same performance as an Air 2, and at a cheaper price point. Almost impossible to now claim that ipads aren't a complete rip off when stacked against this kind of competitor.
A device with a Core i/M isn't a "tablet class device" any more than the guy who shows up at the Tractor Pull with a souped up Aircraft or Tank engine in his John Deer chassis is bringing a Tractor. It might be nice to show them for comparison but they are different power class devices.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
A device with a Core i/M isn't a "tablet class device" any more than the guy who shows up at the Tractor Pull with a souped up Aircraft or Tank engine in his John Deer chassis is bringing a Tractor. It might be nice to show them for comparison but they are different power class devices.

I never said tablet class, and neither did you. the SP3 is a tablet. How is it not a tablet?