What's new

Has the surface totally replaced your tablet?

xcentrk

My SP3 (i5/256) has replaced my Macbook Pro (it died and I didn't feel like shelling out another couple grand) and my iPad (I only used it to take notes in the field). I use it all day, every day and wouldn't turn back. The pen and One Note together are amazing for what I need.

I do have a desktop for when I do heavy photo editing with MUCH higher specs and dual 32" monitors, but that computer only gets used for editing now. Everything else is on the SP3.

SP3 is my first Windows 8 device and my first tablet to boot. It's very fast for a tablet and faster than many laptops as well.

PCAnyWhere

I used to carry my iPad Air around the office for meeting to write notes etc. but then I picked up a SP3 and it changed that complete. I use it for my desk computer and when I have meetings I unplug it and add the type cover back on and I'm in the meeting with the same computer.

I still like my iPad Air - at home i use it to do a quick look up on the web or watch a Youtube video and more so I play games on it that I also have on my iPhone. so it's much more a consumer device for me now and I can safely leave it at home when I go to work.

I still do have a work computer that is heavy and terrible to use so I usually leave it as a pseudo-desk computer at home and remote into it when I really need to. I have switched entirely to carrying the SP3 for work abroad for almost 4 months now. I do not miss my iPad on my plane trips at all.

malberttoo

I used to carry my iPad Air around the office for meeting to write notes etc. but then I picked up a SP3 and it changed that complete. I use it for my desk computer and when I have meetings I unplug it and add the type cover back on and I'm in the meeting with the same computer.

I still like my iPad Air - at home i use it to do a quick look up on the web or watch a Youtube video and more so I play games on it that I also have on my iPhone. so it's much more a consumer device for me now and I can safely leave it at home when I go to work.

I still do have a work computer that is heavy and terrible to use so I usually leave it as a pseudo-desk computer at home and remote into it when I really need to. I have switched entirely to carrying the SP3 for work abroad for almost 4 months now. I do not miss my iPad on my plane trips at all.

You've described a big part of my setup as well.

Haldi

Nope, it's to big and to heavy.
I still prefer my Note 10.1 for video Watching or comic reading in holidays.

bluegrass

It has basically wasted my desktops & laptops that I own. Never had an Apple and I'm pretty sure I never will. I'm even sticking it out with my 8.1 phone. I started following Microsoft with my first RS Model One back in 78'.

Wow! It's hard to believe I've had a computer in my home for 37 years now. We had a users group that would meet in a library. It would be kind of nice to have a Surface users group to share some hands on knowledge with each other. I think I can still find my Radio Shack somewhere in the basement.

Last edited:

BearFlag

I think the SP3 has done a good job replacing my laptop (would like a slightly bigger screen) but has not replaced the iPad. This has nothing to do with the device itself (which is great) but everything to do with the lack of Metro Apps available.

I know many of you disagree and say that you can just use the browser to access HBO Go, NHL GameCenter Live, Banking, and other sites, but those apps on the iPad are much more convenient from a touch prospective.

So no, due to the lack of Metro Apps, I don't think the SP3 can be a complete iPad replacement.

Rumil

Totally, I had a Samsung Note 8.0, and a toshiba laptop. Both are in the closet now. SP3 come with me always.

RémiM

This has nothing to do with the device itself (which is great) but everything to do with the lack of Metro Apps available.

I know many of you disagree and say that you can just use the browser to access HBO Go, NHL GameCenter Live, Banking, and other sites, but those apps on the iPad are much more convenient from a touch prospective.

The "App concept" brought by Apple and Google has monopolized and corrupted everybody's opinion when it comes to tablet. What we need with the SP3 -- which is not a is not an under-performing device -- is not a rich and versatile App Store. What we need is a real great IE11 fine tuned for the touch experience. Something far ahead of the Metro IE. It would solve everybody's problem concerning the lack of Metro Apps available.