What's new

Has the surface totally replaced your tablet?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the SP3 has done a good job replacing my laptop (would like a slightly bigger screen) but has not replaced the iPad. This has nothing to do with the device itself (which is great) but everything to do with the lack of Metro Apps available.

I know many of you disagree and say that you can just use the browser to access HBO Go, NHL GameCenter Live, Banking, and other sites, but those apps on the iPad are much more convenient from a touch prospective.

So no, due to the lack of Metro Apps, I don't think the SP3 can be a complete iPad replacement.

This has been my experience. While i use the surface almost exclusively, i still don't have any plans to give up my nexus 7/10 for those rare occasions where i have a use for them simply because of it being easier to use. Banking being a good example. On my surface i'd need to have my card reader, remember a long pass code etc. On my tablet i touch one icon, enter 6 numbers, and i have instant access to all of my finances.

I've also started using my nexus 7 a bit more in bed. It's a bit more girlfriend friendly. A new approach to the argument 'size matters' :p

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The "App concept" brought by Apple and Google has monopolized and corrupted everybody's opinion when it comes to tablet. What we need with the SP3 -- which is not a is not an under-performing device -- is not a rich and versatile App Store. What we need is a real great IE11 fine tuned for the touch experience. Something far ahead of the Metro IE. It would solve everybody's problem concerning the lack of Metro Apps available.
Sadly that ship has sailed, that mindset is firmly established even though it's ridiculous for developers to write separate apps for each platform this started with the corruption of the browsers making it essentially a similar practice for web apps anyway. Standards are just for talking about nobody is sticking to them, and nobody is about to start. The more you can get devs to use your nonstandard features the more locked in they and users become. Apps take that to the next level.

dstrauss

@hughlle - Have you asked her whether she prefers Nexus or Surface?

Back to the topic. Even though I kept the Asus VivoTab Note 8 to give me a quick "grab-&-go" alternative, I keep gravitating to the SPro3 for its all-in-one convenience. I've even ordered a refurbished Asus 21" portable touch screen monitor to have at home to supplement the SPro3 for heavy lifting.

Every day I marvel at how complete the SPro3 package really is. In fact, my minor annoyances keep getting even smaller (would kill for a stylus/silo and a 512GB option - but that is it)! Every time I look at a Dell XPS 15 or the new 13; ThinkPad Yoga; or even MB Pro, I just shake my head and say "Why" out loud. That is a MAJOR change of heart (and leaf hopping) on my part.

dstrauss

The "App concept" brought by Apple and Google has monopolized and corrupted everybody's opinion when it comes to tablet. What we need with the SP3 -- which is not a is not an under-performing device -- is not a rich and versatile App Store. What we need is a real great IE11 fine tuned for the touch experience. Something far ahead of the Metro IE. It would solve everybody's problem concerning the lack of Metro Apps available.

Sadly that ship has sailed, that mindset is firmly established even though it's ridiculous for developers to write separate apps for each platform this started with the corruption of the browsers making it essentially a similar practice for web apps anyway. Standards are just for talking about nobody is sticking to them, and nobody is about to start. The more you can get devs to use your nonstandard features the more locked in they and users become. Apps take that to the next level.

What a weird feeling - I agree with both of you. So many of those multitude of Apps in the Apple and Google stores are of one of two characters: (1) front ends to what would have been a web application, or (2) a reduced feature - narrow focused - single app (the breaking up of much larger full feature applications).

Unfortunately, GreyFox7 probably wins this argument, because everyone is under the spell of iOS/Android, and goes BALLISTIC if you ask for more than $2.99 for the "App." The quality and depth of the touch versions of Office (iOS and Windows 10 that I've tried so far) are incredible, but on my SPro3, I keep asking - why not use the full thing anyway (AND I HAVE BAD EYES!).

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What a weird feeling - I agree with both of you. So many of those multitude of Apps in the Apple and Google stores are of one of two characters: (1) front ends to what would have been a web application, or (2) a reduced feature - narrow focused - single app (the breaking up of much larger full feature applications).

Unfortunately, GreyFox7 probably wins this argument, because everyone is under the spell of iOS/Android, and goes BALLISTIC if you ask for more than $2.99 for the "App." The quality and depth of the touch versions of Office (iOS and Windows 10 that I've tried so far) are incredible, but on my SPro3, I keep asking - why not use the full thing anyway (AND I HAVE BAD EYES!).

Couldn't agree more with the dislike for website apps. I get so frustrated googling something, hitting the (as examples) imdb or wikipedia link and being taken to the app store. I had these apps installed previously, and uninstalled them for a reason. They don't make things any easier (i despise swipe in hidden menu's etc) and often omit a lot of the useful features you use that site for in the first place.

With regard to office, I agree, but simply because if i was attempting to do anything at all of value, why would i not be using a keyboard and mouse? My gf is always complaining about how she is struggling with her deadlines, and then i see her sat there using her ipad with the touch keyboard to write out all her assignments using two fingers, maybe 20-30 words per minute or something equally rubbish.

seyclone

I've had my SP3 (i5-128 gig) for about 6 weeks now. It is very definitely replacing my laptop (5 year old dual core pentium running Win 8.1) But, more importantly, it's replacing my iPad as well. I've owned 3 generations of iPads (1st, 4th, and ipad air for 2 weeks). Apple's human/machine interfaces are second to none. The finger/screen interactions on the SP3 are clunky compared to any of the iPads. Scrolling is oversensitive and jumpy. Finger pinching to enlarge or reduce screen images is crude. But, having said that, they work, and having a Win based computer in this form factor trumps all the shortcomings that I've mentioned. I do a lot of video downloads (legal, of course) and getting away from Apple's total control freak environment is a wonderful relief. Previously, I would download a file on my laptop, use a conversion program that Apple was happy with, transfer it to the iPad. Depending on which OS revision I was running, Apple would sometimes allow it, sometimes not. Now I just download it, and since the video player in Win 8.1 will play virtually any format, just run it.
I purchased a nice POFUKO case for the SP3, and I, mostly, don't even carry the power supply around because I get 6 -7 hours before I have to think about charging it.

The only dark cloud on the Horizon is the the HDXC interface. There is definitely a problem here and Microsoft has to acknowledge it and solve it. Too many users are having problems with their HDXC cards for it to be just card related.

hannytyo

Use Surface RT as my primary tablet and SP3 as my working PC. My old iPad 4 and wife's Mini are now use by my kids.
My wife uses my old SP2.

We don't really miss our iPad, simply because we have everything we need in Surface.

TPadden

I still use my tablet as much as I did prior to my Surface. Either my Nexus 7 or 9 still goes with me everywhere; my Surface has pretty much replaced my Laptop.

jimnyc2000

No not for me. I have a Nexus 10 and an IMAC. Nexus 10 gets me apps that work really good. Example is Audible,though they have a version for the surface it's pretty bad. I would say unusable. Audible synchs between Android and IOS really well. Not so with Microsoft. Not Microsoft fault..it's just not as popular. Verizon FIOS has a great app where I can watch on the road...they have no version for Microsoft. Other apps also. My Nexus will be with me for a long time. Surface to me is a great laptop replacement not a tablet. (as compared to Apple and Android)

sdreamer

Replaced any consumption tablet possibility for me (maybe except for a mini, but I'm waiting for the Surface on that one), my laptop and desktop. :) Laptop is understandable. As a tablet because all I need is IE, and PressPlay Video. Desktop because I throw a USB hub (with wireless keyboard and wireless mouse and hard drives attached), and display port (to a 40" TV) and work from there. I tend to stay away from games right now because those can be addicting.

spinachpie

Kind of. I have my Note 3 which I use a lot for its apps.

The Windows store is still severely lacking decent apps from major players.