What's new

Hate to start another docking station thread, but...

tuchas

I've had my SP3 docking station now for a little over a month, and it just seems like my issues keep getting worse. Yes, all my drivers and updates are up to date, so it isn't that. So this is what I've been experiencing. Any suggestions would be great, but in the end, it isn't my SP3, my monitor, or my monitor cable (MDP to HDMI) - it has to be the docking station.
  • Lately my SP3 will not boot while docked. It freezes at the "Surface" black screen. Only way to get out of it is to power down holding the power button, undock and reboot.
  • Monitor tends to flicker, then goes off for a second or two, then comes back. Unplug the MDP cable from the dock, as well as the power, and it seems to work OK when powering back up.
  • Right now I have the MDP cable plugged into the port directly on the SP3. That seems to work, but if I didn't want a $200 docking station, this would be fine. It defeats the purpose of the dock.
And finally, I have to say that MS Technical Support is the worst I have experienced - ever. I know I am talking to kids being paid slave wages in the Philippines (which is terrible in itself) but they have NO solutions to offer me. I have spent hours on the phone trying to get these issues resolved to no avail. So hopefully some of you out there in the community can offer up some advice. Thanks.

DutchYee

Send an mail to the support. Nobody can help u, or maybe we bring only more damage. You should send your Surface back so they can ran some test with it.

How longer u stay with this problem to figure everything out. How more damage you do overtime to your Surface.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Castoff from the Dock and sail freely, that Docking boat anchor is ruining your experience. If you must get a replacement or trade it in for a USB Docking Station. I haven't heard anywhere near the horror stories with those devices.

Last edited:
B

B'midbar

I've had my SP3 docking station now for a little over a month, and it just seems like my issues keep getting worse. Yes, all my drivers and updates are up to date, so it isn't that. So this is what I've been experiencing. Any suggestions would be great, but in the end, it isn't my SP3, my monitor, or my monitor cable (MDP to HDMI) - it has to be the docking station.
  • Lately my SP3 will not boot while docked. It freezes at the "Surface" black screen. Only way to get out of it is to power down holding the power button, undock and reboot.
  • Monitor tends to flicker, then goes off for a second or two, then comes back. Unplug the MDP cable from the dock, as well as the power, and it seems to work OK when powering back up.
  • Right now I have the MDP cable plugged into the port directly on the SP3. That seems to work, but if I didn't want a $200 docking station, this would be fine. It defeats the purpose of the dock.
And finally, I have to say that MS Technical Support is the worst I have experienced - ever. I know I am talking to kids being paid slave wages in the Philippines (which is terrible in itself) but they have NO solutions to offer me. I have spent hours on the phone trying to get these issues resolved to no avail. So hopefully some of you out there in the community can offer up some advice. Thanks.

Are there any USB devices on any of the replicator's ports when you're booting. I've seen Windows do this a lot with docking stations and port replicators with enclosures attached at boot time. If so, try unplugging them and see if the SP3 will boot okay while docked.

Kif

I've been using my docking station for 3.5 months 8 hours a day with zero issues. You shouldn't be having these problems. If you're near an MS store take the mess there and see if they can help straighten it out. Ping MS on social media and on their forums.

Microsoft shouldn't outsource support. It's a black eye for the company.

OP
tuchas

tuchas

Well I just got a real surprise. Chatted with a great MS tech and he is sending me a new dock for FREE, not even requiring me to send the old one back to Microsoft. And he says its new, not a refurb, and the newer ones are better than the earlier batches. It'll get here in about a week, but certainly worth the wait. If this works I'll let you know, but regardless MS has restored my faith in their customer service.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting, that's not the first time I heard of a no return dock replacement... I wonder what change was made that renders these not worth the trouble. Although it probably doesn't cost much to make so shipping, disassembling, installing new parts, marking remanufactured, repackaging, reinserting into the supply chain ... UGH! yeah, probably not worth it.

DutchYee

Well I just got a real surprise. Chatted with a great MS tech and he is sending me a new dock for FREE, not even requiring me to send the old one back to Microsoft. And he says its new, not a refurb, and the newer ones are better than the earlier batches. It'll get here in about a week, but certainly worth the wait. If this works I'll let you know, but regardless MS has restored my faith in their customer service.

Really nice to hear this. I am sure your new one works better :). Enjoy your Docking station!

OP
tuchas

tuchas

Interesting, that's not the first time I heard of a no return dock replacement... I wonder what change was made that renders these not worth the trouble. Although it probably doesn't cost much to make so shipping, disassembling, installing new parts, marking remanufactured, repackaging, reinserting into the supply chain ... UGH! yeah, probably not worth it.

I don't know. The original batch must have been trash for them not to take this one back. It's funny that I'm still within the Amazon return period to return this defective one, and as wrong as a free docking station sounds, frankly given my troubles I wouldn't feel so bad.

On another note, this was the first tech rep that actually did something for me. Most of MS Customer Service and Tech Support I've worked with lately have been godawful, and they are all outsourced to the Philippines. While I am not singling out a particular country, I am convinced outsourcing has done more damage to a company's reputation than it has helped. The reps have no clue how to assist you, they are sometimes rude and condescending, and for the most part are not trained adequately. Every Apple Tech rep is here in North America and most know their stuff. If MS wants to compete in the hardware market, they better learn that from the competition.

Grumpy2

I don't know. The original batch must have been trash for them not to take this one back. It's funny that I'm still within the Amazon return period to return this defective one, and as wrong as a free docking station sounds, frankly given my troubles I wouldn't feel so bad.

On another note, this was the first tech rep that actually did something for me. Most of MS Customer Service and Tech Support I've worked with lately have been godawful, and they are all outsourced to the Philippines. While I am not singling out a particular country, I am convinced outsourcing has done more damage to a company's reputation than it has helped. The reps have no clue how to assist you, they are sometimes rude and condescending, and for the most part are not trained adequately. Every Apple Tech rep is here in North America and most know their stuff. If MS wants to compete in the hardware market, they better learn that from the competition.
Unlike you I have no complaints with Microsoft support in the Phillipines. I first posted a query on the web site and they phoned me back immediately. I later phoned them in regard to a problem with the pen that came with the device. Told them that the store that I purchased the device from would not exchange it. The support person told me she would arrange for a new pen to be sent to me and that she would call me in a week to check that it had arrived, which it had. I have also called Microsoft support in regard to Windows 8.1 query's and the support staff were very friendly and helpful. This of course might change when my free tech support runs out at the end of February. This is another surprise. I bought my SP3 on the 19th September 2014 and thought it came with 90 days free tech support. But according to the Surface.com support page my Tech support end on 27 February 2015. Also Microsoft did not ask me to return the original pen so, I now have two. Although I can not unscrew the original one to get the batteries out.

mcsenerd

I'm so sorry to hear of other folk's troubles with the SP3 dock. I preordered one as soon as they were available to purchase and mines been absolutely trouble-free thus far. It really makes my office a truly productive workplace in combination with the SP3.