What's new

Have they fixed the bug where the device crashes when booting from sleep?

macmee

I don't want to change my power settings and make my device crash (technically metro is broken for me so I can't change them anyway).

Have they fixed the bug where the device crashes when being turned on from sleep? I'm very annoyed having to hibernate my device every time.

mennogreg

Your device is possessed by Satan, so I can't give you that guarantee. But for me -- and I have experienced that crash from time to time -- since that March firmware update (and one hardware update, I think), I have only experienced it once. Aside from two restarts (for program updates), I haven't turned this sucker off or hibernated in a month; just used sleep. It is definitely more stable, as I would get that BSOD least once or twice a week. Another thing that may be completely unrelated during that span (and maybe not, who knows with these things), I ditched the lock screen entirely, as the "at a glance" info was pretty redundant as it was all there on my start screen.

Maybe someone else who had this issue will chime in and can comment if their stability improved too.

grumpy

I have only experienced a crash waking from sleep once or twice (wake, but black screen with backlight obviously on). I did have problems with it crashing when waking from hibernation and the display driver crashing during the sleep-hibernation transition, but I have not experienced these problems for a while. Give sleep mode another try - what's the worst that can happen...

superpupz

I have only experienced a crash waking from sleep once or twice (wake, but black screen with backlight obviously on). I did have problems with it crashing when waking from hibernation and the display driver crashing during the sleep-hibernation transition, but I have not experienced these problems for a while. Give sleep mode another try - what's the worst that can happen...

Ok... the worst thing that could happen is, your SP2 didn't get to sleep, but wouldn't wake up, and your processer goes nuts so that it is hotter than the sun, the next thing you know when you reboot with the 2 button process, your battery is almost dead..... when you do manage to shut down, the SP2 is still so hot that the fan is still on to protect the internals (this is even when the SP2 is shut down).... oh not to mention they will reset the clock with the hardware clock.... which make all your time all over the place.

How I know this.... because it happened to me yesterday after the March update. Was happy throughout the first morning, then in the afternoon, all hell broke loose. I think I might just have a shockingly crape device that is buggy, but I don't want to return it to Microsoft as its now my own and dedicated PC. I want to love the SP2 and I do, but boy it's like playing the scratch and win.... but it's turn on and see if it wakes game....

I am wondering if everyone is having this issue or only specific SP2.... because there are not a lot of people complaining?

girarcat

I don't want to change my power settings and make my device crash (technically metro is broken for me so I can't change them anyway).

Have they fixed the bug where the device crashes when being turned on from sleep? I'm very annoyed having to hibernate my device every time.

I still have some crashes. At the beginning, I had crashes twice or three times a day. Now I have them twice a week.

GoodBytes

Since I got my Surface Pro 2, I had my device crash only twice from waking up from sleep. And those incident were before the February firmware upgrade.
I got my SP2 back in early February. Came with the October firmware pre-installed.

be77solo

I'm now convinced after fighting this problem for a couple months it is hardware related for those having it on more than the rare occasion. My previous SP2 wouldn't wake reliably on a daily basis, drove me nuts. Did an advanced exchanged and my replacement has been 100% stable for two months now, waking every single time successfully.

superpupz

I'm now convinced after fighting this problem for a couple months it is hardware related for those having it on more than the rare occasion. My previous SP2 wouldn't wake reliably on a daily basis, drove me nuts. Did an advanced exchanged and my replacement has been 100% stable for two months now, waking every single time successfully.

Ok, did a factory reset on this thing hoping it's the firmware. Have to admit that the original firmware loaded at least didn't give me sleep issues for the last 24 hours. As I typed this however, unfortunately that dream was shattered, it shutdown by itself.... but at least I got 24 hours of no issues with waking up...

I am going to return this thing tomorrow and get a new one, I am hoping that the exchange won't take that long as I do love this machine.... it's just sad it's so unpredictable...

Anyone in Australia that used the exchange programme? do anyone know how long this will take as the advanced exchange does not exist here unfortunately.

OP
macmee

macmee

Sorry to hear they haven't fixed this, and also sorry to hear that it might be hardware related.

I'm scared of doing an advanced exchange because the last time I did they sent me an even older surface, and the colours on it were quite strange but what troubles me is they've had a $1000 hold on my credit card for over 2 months, and have not removed it yet..

mennogreg

Sorry to hear they haven't fixed this, and also sorry to hear that it might be hardware related.

I'm scared of doing an advanced exchange because the last time I did they sent me an even older surface, and the colours on it were quite strange but what troubles me is they've had a $1000 hold on my credit card for over 2 months, and have not removed it yet..

Normally I would say sell that sucker for whatever you can get and head for ze hills. But with those issues it has, you'd likely have another headache to deal with when the other person finds out. I would just keep calling MS as much as possible, trying to escalate your case higher until you reach someone who will get you a new surface or better yet, a refund (if bought from an MS store).

Call your CC company and tell them to get that hold off your account! Those are supposed to fall off within a certain timeframe, which means MS keeps putting it through. Escalate your call and request MS send you something in writing to show the hold should be removed, and then send it to your bank along with an explanation.

Last edited:
OP
macmee

macmee

Normally I would say sell that sucker for whatever you can get and head for ze hills. But with those issues it has, you'd likely have another headache to deal with when the other person finds out. I would just keep calling MS as much as possible, trying to escalate your case higher until you reach someone who will get you a new surface or better yet, a refund (if bought from an MS store).

Their support system is quite nice. I just spoke to someone regarding an exchange on my broken keyboard, so I think when I do have free time (or next time I'm in the States), I will raise the issue again regarding the sleep crashing.