What's new

Have they fixed the bug where the device crashes when booting from sleep?

be77solo

Sorry to hear they haven't fixed this, and also sorry to hear that it might be hardware related.

I'm scared of doing an advanced exchange because the last time I did they sent me an even older surface, and the colours on it were quite strange but what troubles me is they've had a $1000 hold on my credit card for over 2 months, and have not removed it yet..

Not sure why you are having such troubles across the board but I didn't have the $1000 hold problem, mine was only on the card for about a week, and this was all while CARE was helping me replace my initial unacceptable exchange unit. First advanced exchanged unit was scratched, but then Surface CARE jumped in and got me a great replacement.

superpupz

Don't know what's changed or happened. Its now been 1day + without the sleep issues. I changed to ensure that machine does not hibernate from sleep and it seems to do the trick? I am a happy camper now, turned off and on the machine for about 4-5 times today and it turned on all the time. So happy! Latest firmware also now updated.

OP
macmee

macmee

Don't know what's changed or happened. Its now been 1day + without the sleep issues. I changed to ensure that machine does not hibernate from sleep and it seems to do the trick? I am a happy camper now, turned off and on the machine for about 4-5 times today and it turned on all the time. So happy! Latest firmware also now updated.

Did you do the 2 step driver reset? I was talking to someone at Microsoft who said this is a "known issue fixable from a 2 step driver reset".

I've tried the driver reset myself and it doesn't seem to fix the problem, though perhaps we have different firmwares.

superpupz

Did you do the 2 step driver reset? I was talking to someone at Microsoft who said this is a "known issue fixable from a 2 step driver reset".

I've tried the driver reset myself and it doesn't seem to fix the problem, though perhaps we have different firmwares.

My happiness was shortlived, it crashed after the fan turned on itself this morning. However, the good thing is that it didn't do it for 2 days.... a new record! Will see monitor and get back to you. I didn't do any 2 step driver reset, I just went to the update and recovery and reflash the thing to factory....

What is the 2 step driver reset? Wouldn't mind trying it out?

OP
macmee

macmee

My happiness was shortlived, it crashed after the fan turned on itself this morning. However, the good thing is that it didn't do it for 2 days.... a new record! Will see monitor and get back to you. I didn't do any 2 step driver reset, I just went to the update and recovery and reflash the thing to factory....

What is the 2 step driver reset? Wouldn't mind trying it out?

You hold volume up + power button after shutting down and it resets something, I'm not exactly sure what, but I was told it fixes this bug although it did not for me.

I wonder if this bug is something every SP2 owner has, but some just don't notice it happening because they rarely turn their device back on when it's still in sleep, before it goes into hibernate.

superpupz

You hold volume up + power button after shutting down and it resets something, I'm not exactly sure what, but I was told it fixes this bug although it did not for me.

I wonder if this bug is something every SP2 owner has, but some just don't notice it happening because they rarely turn their device back on when it's still in sleep, before it goes into hibernate.

Did this, nothing's changed, machine has now reset 3 times in the last 24 hours.... who knows.... I might have to reluctantly send it back... :(

OP
macmee

macmee

Did this, nothing's changed, machine has now reset 3 times in the last 24 hours.... who knows.... I might have to reluctantly send it back... :(

Recently my device somehow also acquired this new trick:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...f-fan-goes-intense-several-seconds-crash.html

So I completely reinstalled Windows. Doing this finally gave me the 8.1 update 1 as well. I will hop into sleep and keep you informed if a fresh install with all updates properly installed resolves these issues.

Nismode

I have an issue where closing my type cover 2 will turn off the SP2 (sleep, screen off, shutdown, idk wtf it does honestly), but will wake up weird. I have Keylemon installed, and most times it will turn on to the camera screen, other times it will boot to the Surface text as if waking from a cold boot, then when I finally do log in via Keylemon or Passcode, it loads up as if it restarted, and i lose whatever session I had on my desktop :(

machistmo

I did an exchange and got a machine that had the exact same problem. I mean it was nice they were willing to do it but it even came with the added bonus of the missing Surface Cover Telemetry Driver in the recovery partition. I spent a Saturday morning injecting the drivers into the new device and then had a device that was EXACTLY as functional as the device I had before I did the exchange. Can not make this stuff up. That being said, it recently started working.

To test it, change the power settings and then in worst case you can hold the volume up for seconds and then hit the power button and get it shut off and all that jazz, so that you can set the power settings back to hibernate. I can not be sure which firmware fixed it but one of the last two did the trick for me, but again this is a replacement that was supposed to work when I got it, so your results may vary...