What's new

Heat - back right corner

be77solo

Pages 41 and 44 load, but for some reason 42 and 43 won't.

I'm working on it... Sure it's only a temporary glitch in the Matrix
He used a blower fan and a plastic bag cut up as a funnel directing the air to the SP3 intake, worked great. Pics are in that thread.

Seneleron

He used a blower fan and a plastic bag cut up as a funnel directing the air to the SP3 intake, worked great. Pics are in that thread.

Yea, the page glitched, I got it up. Edited post to reflect.

be77solo

Alright, after some issues with pages 42 and 43, I've seen what you're talking about. I'll see if I can replicate the results when I have time. I still doubt those changes would make much of a dent in 3dmark scores, and you're probably only talking 2-5 FPS real world in gaming. . . but I'm intrigued enough to make the attempt.

I will, of course, be using something a little larger than a blower [I have a massey 3.5" personal fan I can adapt, or my Massey 8" with a large ziplock. . . .

Don't worry, I'll take pics ^^
The benefit isn't from peak framerate or even a faster 3DMark score, it is that it doesn't throttle so heavily with the additional cooler attached, so you get to keep the same initial much better performance without the severe lag that comes when the GPU drops to 598mhz as MS has it setup now.

Basically, it enables the SP3 to perform like the SP2.

Seneleron

The benefit isn't from peak framerate or even a faster 3DMark score, it is that it doesn't throttle so heavily with the additional cooler attached, so you get to keep the same initial much better performance without the severe lag that comes when the GPU drops to 598mhz as MS has it setup now.

Basically, it enables the SP3 to perform like the SP2.

Yea, but who is going to do this consistently in a real world situation? Ok, you can boost benchmark scores, but are you really going to carry all this stuff with you to squeeze out say 3-5 FPS in diablo 3 when you're out of town on business?

Again, don't get me wrong. . I'm a computer enthusiast and a slightly more than casual overclocker. Extra performance is a hobby, but it's got to be a reasonable performance gain and it's got to be something sustainable in all product applications.

I've REALLY got to try this this weekend tho :)

be77solo

Yea, but who is going to do this consistently in a real world situation? Ok, you can boost benchmark scores, but are you really going to carry all this stuff with you to squeeze out say 3-5 FPS in diablo 3 when you're out of town on business?

Again, don't get me wrong. . I'm a computer enthusiast and a slightly more than casual overclocker. Extra performance is a hobby, but it's got to be a reasonable performance gain and it's got to be something sustainable in all product applications.

I've REALLY got to try this this weekend tho :)
You didn't understand what I said at all...

This makes the difference of many games simply being playable or not... it has nothing to do with gaining the 3-5fps you keep referring to. It's the difference of actually being able to play a game smoothly or not. The problem with the SP3 is that it initially for a short period plays games great, but then stutters like crazy ruining the experience once it starts to throttle. What the mod proved was that it simply allowed the SP3 to remain at it's initial performance level without the severe throttling.

So, to answer your question, no, for 3-5fps in Diablo I wouldn't bother, but with the horrible throttling the SP3 suffers stock, would I bother to clip on a USB powered 5V blower fan that snaps on top of my SP3 and allows me to actually play all the games the SP2 can play enjoyably? Heck YEAH!

be77solo

What do you actually do with the fan? Just point it towards the unit?
Not quite, see the link posted above, it shows a picture of where the air intake is located... His picture is a very fast and crude example, but clearly shows significant improvements.

OP
C

cvc988

Not quite, see the link posted above, it shows a picture of where the air intake is located... His picture is a very fast and crude example, but clearly shows significant improvements.
Im on Tapatalk. Where is the image? I don't see it