What's new

Heat - back right corner

Liam2349

Anandtech did an amazing review of the SP3 about 6 weeks ago. It's a long read but it's a full technical review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8077/microsoft-surface-pro-3-review

Basically, the SP3 throttles easily as you guys can tell, and SP2 performs better overall.

I'll be getting one (I'm in England) at the end of this month as long as Microsoft still let you try it out for a month before deciding. I feel like the fan is going to be on all the time and that it's always going to be hot, whereas my SP2 is only hot when I play Civ V. If this is the case then I'll have to keep the SP2, but I hope they still let you try it out.

Seneleron

This makes the difference of many games simply being playable or not... it has nothing to do with gaining the 3-5fps you keep referring to. It's the difference of actually being able to play a game smoothly or not.

You missed *MY* point:

If you're struggling to play a certain game or games on your device and you have to stoop to these levels to make it playable. . you should have purchased a device designed to actually RUN these types of programs. I guess I just can't imagine anyone that wants to run AAA games and has $1,200+ to spend actually BUYING this for their one and only machine. If you HAVE to have the ultra portability of the SP3, There are ultrabooks out there with better performance and cooling solutions for similar prices.

Or if portability and gaming are both priorities, for $2,100 you could pick up a base model 2014 Razer Blade. Sure, it's pricier, but a 14" UHD touch screen with a FULL POWERED i7 and an 870m? Of course, you'll still complain it runs hot, but that's just how they're designed these days. If you want cool, you're almost stuck building a desktop and throwing water cooling into it.

But, that doesn't mean a well placed 5V USB Blower that clips to the top couldn't achieve similar results.....

I doubt you'd get the kind of volume you'd need from something that small and low powered, plus you' d need to rig some kind of funnel or channeling device to force the air into the ventilation holes in the SP3.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You missed *MY* point:

If you're struggling to play a certain game or games on your device and you have to stoop to these levels to make it playable. . you should have purchased a device designed to actually RUN these types of programs. I guess I just can't imagine anyone that wants to run AAA games and has $1,200+ to spend actually BUYING this for their one and only machine. If you HAVE to have the ultra portability of the SP3, There are ultrabooks out there with better performance and cooling solutions for similar prices.

Or if portability and gaming are both priorities, for $2,100 you could pick up a base model 2014 Razer Blade. Sure, it's pricier, but a 14" UHD touch screen with a FULL POWERED i7 and an 870m? Of course, you'll still complain it runs hot, but that's just how they're designed these days. If you want cool, you're almost stuck building a desktop and throwing water cooling into it.

I doubt you'd get the kind of volume you'd need from something that small and low powered, plus you' d need to rig some kind of funnel or channeling device to force the air into the ventilation holes in the SP3.
I see a market opportunity for a custom fit cooling case :)
Maybe call it GameCase ... hold on let me put on my GameCase and ill be ready to do battle :)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I'm reading this on my nexus 4 phone I'm noticing the top right corner of the phone is getting warm for some reason. Do fanless devices throttle under load too I wonder.... I remember when I got my first ever smart phone Samsung galaxy s2 it used to get blazing hot in my pocket. I soon discovered it was because I'd missed a setting somewhere and it was trying to download my entire gmail inbox to the phone..... 10 years worth!!!

bkydcmpr

You missed *MY* point:

If you're struggling to play a certain game or games on your device and you have to stoop to these levels to make it playable. . you should have purchased a device designed to actually RUN these types of programs.
I would blame panos panay for the misleading information at the announcement, he made people believe sp3 is able to handle mediocre 3d games. besides, at this point, I think microsoft should not release the i7 version at all. if sp3 is designed to handle web browsing and spreadsheets, why would I want a i7 in it?

Seneleron

I would blame panos panay for the misleading information at the announcement, he made people believe sp3 is able to handle mediocre 3d games. besides, at this point, I think microsoft should not release the i7 version at all. if sp3 is designed to handle web browsing and spreadsheets, why would I want a i7 in it?

Or maybe people read into it more than intended, but I DEFINITELY agree: MS made the mistake of calling out Apple on a hardware to hardware comparison, and completely overlooked the main selling point of Apple products: the Ecosystem. As for gaming between the two, I'll just mention openGL vs DirectX and leave it at that.

As for the i7 version, I think it's just a way to maximize profit on better binned chips with different hardware profiles than the i5. Mentioned this in another thread, but I'm starting to wonder if the i5 runs so much worse by design specifically to SELL the i7 because, if the i5 ran as intended, you really wouldn't see any real world difference in performance between the two of them [gaming exempted. . MAYBE]

sdreamer

Feel like MS kinda shot themselves in the foot, or rather Intel did. This is a marvel of technology, so many positive reviews, but the last couple days just playing Asphalt 8 as a tablet, the thing would heat up in the upper right corner, no big deal right? But because of the metal chassis, the heat started to dissipate downwards to where I was holding it and get almost unbearably hot. It really is an amazing machine, but the chip gets too warm and I think that's more of Intel's responsibility of getting chips optimized and compete with ARM chips. This heat issue almost makes me want to just wait for the next Surface, which shouldn't have this heat problem, a lower TDP thus requiring less throttling.

OP
C

cvc988

Feel like MS kinda shot themselves in the foot, or rather Intel did. This is a marvel of technology, so many positive reviews, but the last couple days just playing Asphalt 8 as a tablet, the thing would heat up in the upper right corner, no big deal right? But because of the metal chassis, the heat started to dissipate downwards to where I was holding it and get almost unbearably hot. It really is an amazing machine, but the chip gets too warm and I think that's more of Intel's responsibility of getting chips optimized and compete with ARM chips. This heat issue almost makes me want to just wait for the next Surface, which shouldn't have this heat problem, a lower TDP thus requiring less throttling.
What is tdp