What's new

Heat - back right corner

Liam2349

Does anyone know if Microsoft let you try a SP3 for 30 days before making your mind up? I believe they had an offer like that for the SP2 (which I didn't require), but honestly, I don't think I can pre order a Pro 3 without this guarantee of a testing period.

Seneleron

I think that's more of Intel's responsibility of getting chips optimized and compete with ARM chips. This heat issue almost makes me want to just wait for the next Surface, which shouldn't have this heat problem, a lower TDP thus requiring less throttling.

I'm not so sure it's Intel's fault either. There are plenty of the exact same games that run on android and iOS that run exponentially hotter on Windows ModernUI. My first instinct is to suspect how modern apps are programmed on and run by Windows.

When it gets to this level, I am significantly NOT an expert, however. I realize ARM is a completely different beast from X86, but I can't understand clock for clock why it would make such a big performance and heat difference, unless modernUI apps are either emulated in windows or simply not/unable to be optimized in the same way.

What is TDP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power