What's new

Hello camera useless outside?

TimberWolf

So recently, I decided to try using my new Surface Book 2 outside. It wouldn't recognize me at all. I'm really surprised that MS can't even get the camera to work properly in an outdoor environment. It is, after all, a portable device.

I'm not sure what the issue was, maybe it was too bright outside? But that shouldn't affect a camera, I would have thought too little light would be more of an issue. Still, very disappointing.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I use my Surface Book 2 Windows Hello sign-n outdoors, but on very warm days it sometimes fails. This may be due to the infrared (heat) component of how the camera identifies the user. Moving to shade works better.

Wayne Orwig

Mine almost never indoors, with a window behind me. Disappointing. You would think that I could get it to 'learn' to ignore that light, but I never have.

Orlbuckeye

Well remember the Surface Book isn't designed for the elements like a Toughbook. The components are more designed for use in the office or home environment. Im sure the price were to increase for a heavy duty camera and the picture wouldn't be as good. So the issue is about inside versus outside its in the glear from the sun versus no glear.