What's new

HELP!! Error code 0x0000005C after trying to reset to factory

sfriedman

Well, my first post here and im up a creek without a paddle.... ive tried every option i think. I created a recovery USB drive before i decided to restore the surface RT to factory settings. the process started off okay.. once it went to restart to go through the initial startup, it says,

Your PC needs to restart
Please hold down the power button.
Error Code: 0x0000005C
ParametersL
0x00000110
0x05250631
0x00000014
0xC0000001

So, as of right now I am able to turn off, turn on, access the Volume Down + power button menu options (includes -
"Continue" Exit and continue to windows PreInstallation Envionment ((Brings me back to above mentioned error codes))
"Use a Device" Available devices Hard Drive, Hard Drive, USB Drive, and USB Drive
"Troubleshoot" normal operations available
"Turn off PC"

Ive tried the use a device option on every option available to me and nothing... ive tried continue... nothing... troubleshoot im able to get only to the cmd prompt...

pleaseeeeee help!!

thanks in advanced!
Scott

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have a microSD card installed remove it.

At the command prompt run SFC /scannow

Do you have a Recovery USB, how was it made? have you ever tested booting from it?
If need be you can download the Recovery image from Microsoft and make a new Recovery USB.

OP
S

sfriedman

If you have a microSD card installed remove it.

At the command prompt run SFC /scannow

Do you have a Recovery USB, how was it made? have you ever tested booting from it?
If need be you can download the Recovery image from Microsoft and make a new Recovery USB.
No micro sd is installed.

I made the recovery directly from the surface itself.

I did download the .zip file from ms website and extracted to usb, and when i ran that.. it says to insert correct recovery data. I entered my serial no on the back under the flap so i know it was the right download but still didnt work either.

I will attemot to sfc tonight

OP
S

sfriedman

So update.. when i try to run the sfc it says, "windows resource protection could not start the repair service"

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
BTW is this the original 2012 Surface RT or Surface 2 from 2013?
Currently installed OS is Windows 8.1?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Making and booting a Recovery USB seems to be a finicky process and numerous times I have had to try different USB drives before getting one to work. It must be Formatted Fat 32.

Download and expand the image on disk first then xcopy the expanded files to the USB drive after preparing it as follows.

Command Prompt
Diskpart
List disks
0 = ssd
1= usb

Select disk 1
Clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
format fs=fat32 quick
active
exit

Clean will remove all partitions including hidden partitions.

OP
S

sfriedman

Making and booting a Recovery USB seems to be a finicky process and numerous times I have had to try different USB drives before getting one to work. It must be Formatted Fat 32.

Download and expand the image on disk first then xcopy the expanded files to the USB drive after preparing it as follows.

Command Prompt
Diskpart
List disks
0 = ssd
1= usb

Select disk 1
Clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
format fs=fat32 quick
active
exit

Clean will remove all partitions including hidden partitions.
So im getting really annoyed with this thing lol... i was going to try and fo what u said above now it wont even turn on... just shows the surface logo for a quick second then black screen....:mad: