What's new

Solved Help needed for a new guy. Recovery drive

LP64

Hi everyone,

I hope someone will be able to help me with small problem. well it's not a big deal but i'd like to find a solution. Let me start at the beginning. I live in Ireland.

After many weeks of looking at the SP3 i finally bit the bullet and got one. Not being made of money I bought a second hand one. I'm very happy with it using it as i write to post this.

Now my issue is that i have no recovery drive. the guy i bought it from bought it as a business device. When i go on the microsoft website. it asks me for the serial number of the machine i put it in but it tells me i cant register this machine to a private account. I rang and did some live chat but M support is not being very helpfull.

I checked my new machine with Belarc Advisor and i have a real 25 digit install code but the advisor i talked to told me i can only use it to reinstall win8 on this machine which is exactly what i want to do. a fresh install but i cant as i'm missing the recovery partition. which i cant download.

i'm kind of going in circle if you know what i mean.

Don't get me worng machine is working great but should anything happen i can't reinstall windows. I can't even create a recovery partition for some reason.

anyhow all ideas or comments are welcome. thank you.

malberttoo

Try the link in my sig "Win 8.1 refresh tool". When you get to the version, you'll pick "8.1 Pro" of course, and "x64".

At least you'll be able to do a clean install.

OP
L

LP64

Thank you Malbertto. I'll give that a try when i'm back home with a better internet connection.

OP
L

LP64

Apologies for the late update. I was swamped at work with bad internet connection so no real time to go on forums.
The good news is i got sorted with my brother in law recovery usb drive for his computer windows 8.1 pro as well.

After a week of using my SP3i can only say "Class". I love it. I don't regret buying it for one second.

Only little itch is the i7 does tend to heat a bit at the back when I use the tablet. Even with the simple tasks like web browsing. Sometime the fan comes on but i hardly hear it.

I've been playing around with it and it does exactly what i want. The pen is my next hurdle. I think i need to replace the battery and setup the button for one note. I tried the Microsoft re pair the pen with blue tooth to no avail. I'll keep at it but if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks

malberttoo

Apologies for the late update. I was swamped at work with bad internet connection so no real time to go on forums.
The good news is i got sorted with my brother in law recovery usb drive for his computer windows 8.1 pro as well.

After a week of using my SP3i can only say "Class". I love it. I don't regret buying it for one second.

Only little itch is the i7 does tend to heat a bit at the back when I use the tablet. Even with the simple tasks like web browsing. Sometime the fan comes on but i hardly hear it.

I've been playing around with it and it does exactly what i want. The pen is my next hurdle. I think i need to replace the battery and setup the button for one note. I tried the Microsoft re pair the pen with blue tooth to no avail. I'll keep at it but if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks

Definitely replace the batteries before troubleshooting further, especially since the device was owned previously.

Note that there are two separate styles of battery in the pen- the obvious one is a AAAA bettery that you can get to by unscrewing the pen in the center. It powers the bits for the digitizer/writing.

The other batteries are coin cell batteries in the cap that power the Bluetooth radio. Here is a diagram of how to change them-

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...-and-search/troubleshoot-surface-pen#Clicking

Hope it helps.