What's new

HELP : SP3, WIN10, DOCK, No Local Area Connection

maxrg

My wife has a Surface Pro 3 that sits in a Microsoft Dock. We are not sure when the problem started but while the SP3 can connect to our WIFI just fine, I can't get the Ethernet port on the dock to be recognized by the SP3.
  • Device Manager > Network Adapter > Surface Ethernet Adapter present and says working
  • Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections shows only wifi and Bluetooth, no local area connection
  • When I first started troubleshooting this issue, when I went into Network Connections Ethernet was there but it was disabled and I could not enable it. after completing the below steps its not there at all
Things I've tried to resolve this problem:
  • Power the Dock on and off
  • Followed the process for downloading and installing the latest Ethernet driver from Microsoft Update
  • Run Windows Update to ensure system was current
  • Download and run Windows Update reset Script
  • Validated that the CAT5E cable connected to the dock delivers an IP address to the dock
  • Unplugged all connections from the dock and tried various combination of only Ethernet
Next Step
My next step is to take the surface into a Microsoft store and see if they can dock it and see if Ethernet works. This will at least tell me if its the surface or if its something in the dock or my network environment at home.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

About My Environment
  • SP3 and dock are about a year old
  • We believe this worked before updating to Windows 10
  • New Netgear NightHawk R8000 installed about a month ago, not sure if this is when problem stared
  • All other CAT5E devices on home network are working great
  • Running Kasperski Virus software on Surface

malberttoo

My wife has a Surface Pro 3 that sits in a Microsoft Dock. We are not sure when the problem started but while the SP3 can connect to our WIFI just fine, I can't get the Ethernet port on the dock to be recognized by the SP3.
  • Device Manager > Network Adapter > Surface Ethernet Adapter present and says working
  • Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections shows only wifi and Bluetooth, no local area connection
  • When I first started troubleshooting this issue, when I went into Network Connections Ethernet was there but it was disabled and I could not enable it. after completing the below steps its not there at all
Things I've tried to resolve this problem:
  • Power the Dock on and off
  • Followed the process for downloading and installing the latest Ethernet driver from Microsoft Update
  • Run Windows Update to ensure system was current
  • Download and run Windows Update reset Script
  • Validated that the CAT5E cable connected to the dock delivers an IP address to the dock
  • Unplugged all connections from the dock and tried various combination of only Ethernet
Next Step
My next step is to take the surface into a Microsoft store and see if they can dock it and see if Ethernet works. This will at least tell me if its the surface or if its something in the dock or my network environment at home.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

About My Environment
  • SP3 and dock are about a year old
  • We believe this worked before updating to Windows 10
  • New Netgear NightHawk R8000 installed about a month ago, not sure if this is when problem stared
  • All other CAT5E devices on home network are working great
  • Running Kasperski Virus software on Surface

Also in the course of troubleshooting, I would go into Device Manager and uninstall and reinstall the adapter, first try leave the driver intact, if it still doesn't work remove the driver as well when uninstalling the adapter, then "check for new hardware" and let it reinstall.

OP
M

maxrg

Thank you for the reply. In the course of troubleshooting this issue I did do the following:

1. Uninstall the Ethernet Driver in Device manager while the SP3 Docked
  2. Remove the SP3 from the dock and reboot
  3. Go back into Device Manager, view hidden and remove driver
  4. Reboot again and dock SP3
A friend is going to loan me his dock for testing tonight. - More to follow

OP
M

maxrg

UPDATE : After much more reading I believe I have discovered the issue as described in the below article. Seems if you had the Cisco VPN Client installed in Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to Windows 10 the issue I'm having can happen. One solution is to roll back to 8.1, remove Cisco VPN and then update to Windows 10.

The command line fix noted in the article did not work for me as the reg entry could not be found - HELP

Fix No Wi-Fi Available After Windows 10 Upgrade Issue, Here's How | Redmond Pie

OP
M

maxrg

Hello John

I'm not sure what you mean by OP but I did test a known working dock and the problem still exists. As far as I can tell the fix's for this issue as follows:

1) Roll back to windows 8.1, remove VPN Clients, reinstall Windows 10 - I don't think I can this because of the time windows has been installed
2) Wipe the surface and do a clean install of Windows 10
3) Do a full recovery of Windows 10 wiping out all personal files and data

My wife uses her surface for work and does not want to reinstall all her programs and data and such so I think we may just live with the only wifi connection unless Microsoft releases a KB fix for this

Omni

The article you link to refers to Wi-Fi and not a Ethernet connection so are you sure that the VPN is the issue?

You could get a USB to Ethernet adapter cheap and use a USB port on the dock. Cant see why that wouldn't work.