What's new

Help troubleshooting spro3 hardware issue

olewis

My surface pro 3 would not turn on and didn't seem to be taking a charge. This started right after using it, walked a way for bit, came back, would not turn on again no matter what I tried. Tried holding the power button for 30 seconds, power and volume+, etc. Tried charging it over night. Tried freezing it. Nothing. Out of desperation, I purchased a new battery and attempted to replace the battery. Man, is that screen thin. I ended up cracking the screen in several places, but did get the battery replaced, still will not turn on.

First question: Will the surface pro 3 boot up without the LCD attached? I was hoping it would at least boot and make some noise so I would know it's working, then I'd feel comfortable in ordering a replacement screen.

I've tested the power button and the charging port has continuity through it to the pads on the motherboard. However, the battery doesn't seem to be charging from the charging port. After leaving it charging all night, disconnecting the battery and checking voltage, I get 0 volts. I charged it by itself from a different charger connected straight to the copper pads on the battery and it did charged to 7.6v. However, connecting it back to the motherboard results in nothing when pressing power. So, I thought perhaps the motherboard is bad, so I got a used replacement motherboard, supposedly good, swapped it in, and still nothing. I'm at a loss on this.