What's new

High end SP3 and Xbox or low end SP3 and desktop

Hey all,

I've been using Mac laptops for years and same time I had couple of Windows desktops and Xbox 360. Nowadays I have only 15" retina Macbook Pro with Intel Iris Graphics. It's connected to Dell u2713hm monitor when I need extra screen space.

I really want more portable and versatile machine like Surface Pro 3 but I still need computing power to gaming and running Lightroom. So I think I have two options:

SP3(i7/8gt/256gt) 1430€ + Type Cover 120€ + docking station 185€ + Xbox One 300€ = 2035€

SPs(i3...) 735€ + Type Cover 120€ + desktop ???€

Obviously the second option give me lot more computing power and maybe cheaper price tag but in my mind first one still sound better(i don't have English skills really say why :D).

I've been reading lot of reviews, articles and forums posts about SP3 but some things are still unclear:

Is there really notable difference between i3 and i5/i7 in terms of basic usage? I have been reading about lag when typing and scroll stuttering and this sound like annoying.

Is i3 capable of running Lightroom? Sometimes I need to watch photos at larger screen and do quick edits while I'm outdoors.

In general I've seen lot of complaints about SP3 but I think all major bugs are fixed now. Am I right?

Help me to choose please! :cool:

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an i7, a desktop and an xbox One (got at the weekend) . I have used the i7 sucessfully for Lightroom, but when I'm at home I use the desktop... it's just easier.. though I do like some of the Surface's features. The xbox is a new acquisition but for gaming it's definitely better!! I haven't really worked out what the One offers over the 360 yet other than increased gaming power.

grumpy

I would say get the i5/8gb SP3 and a desktop, if you can swing that. The i5 seems to really be the sweet spot with the i3 being too slow (and too little storage) and the i7 is really hobbled by the inadequate thermal design.

ptrkhh

I have the i3 model, and I would say the performance difference for light tasks (browsing, scrolling, etc) is negligible, if any, compared to my Acer W700 with i5-3317U. That said, id recommend the i5 if you intend to use programs that require CPU burst speed (I dont know about Lightroom, but Photoshop is one of them) simply because the clock speed difference is too large to ignore (almost 2x). For sustained CPU load and GPU though, get either the i3 or i7. Throttling on the i5 brings the performance down to i3's level.

The question now goes down to this:
What are you going to do with your desktop PC had you gone with the 2nd option?
Other than games (which would be taken care by the Xbox), can the i7 SP3 handle it for now and the near future?
If the answer is yes, go with the first option. If you want to spend less, you could reconsider the docking station, if a USB3 hub would suffice. Then use the student discount if you are, or if you know somebody that can benefit from it.

For me personally though, I have absolutely zero faith on consoles in this generation. Both the PS4 and XBOX One (and Wii U too, if you give any attention to it) are barely capable to play games at 1080p, and clearly we are now transitioning to 2K and 4K. PC would give more flexibility in this area. I'm afraid that the consoles wouldn't have the lifespan (7 years) that they used to have anymore. If thats true, you'd spend more money in the long run vs a desktop PC.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well i guess it depends what you want when gaming. You know your needs when it comes to productive software, i3 may not be enough.

However if i was serious about gaming, not a chance in hell i would opt for an xbox over a pc. (im not even a casual gamer, but id still never pick an option that would leave me with a console instead of a desktop gaming rig. As you can see, im a little biased. But as said, entirely depends on what you need when gaming (ive been taken for a fool with so many expensive console games that i no longer buy anything unless i can download a copy to try in advance))

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
and the i7 is really hobbled by the inadequate thermal design.
Can't say I've noticed at all....! In fact lately using my desktop for lightroom it feels so slow switching between previews that I feel like the SP3 might actually be faster.. when really it shouldn't based on specs alone!

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
However if i was serious about gaming, not a chance in hell i would opt for an xbox over a pc. (im not even a casual gamer, but id still never pick an option that would leave me with a console instead of a desktop gaming rig. As you can see, im a little biased. But as said, entirely depends on what you need when gaming (ive been taken for a fool with so many expensive console games that i no longer buy anything unless i can download a copy to try in advance))

Agreed on that. I like games but I'm not a gamer, the xbox is fine by me. I can't be arsed with PC gaming... and my xbox is used much more as a media centre than a gaming device...

.... plus I love Kinect which was the reason I got the 360 in the first place. I love dance games etc... but that does depend on what sort of gamer you are... serious hardcore go for PC....

compnovo

I have the i5/4GB/128GB and a gaming desktop, and I recommend a configuration like this. As good as the XBox One is (and I think it's a very good console) it just isn't as versatile as a full blown computer and can't compete with the graphics prowess of a properly configured gaming PC. I should mention that I build my own desktops so the cost isn't as prohibitive.

I do the bulk of my content creation on my desktop even though the SP3 is more than capable, because I have a 27" monitor and like the extra real estate. However, the SP3 is superb for business travel, for both work and play when I'm on the road. For my purposes it's an ideal combination.

ptrkhh

so many expensive console games that i no longer buy anything unless i can download a copy to try in advance))
That's also a good point. Console games generally cost more than the PC version. I would also suggest to the OP to consider €400-500 gaming PC with i3 and 270/270X instead of an XBOX, youd get a quite powerful desktop PC and i7 SP3 at the same time. If you play lots of games, the price difference would be compensated in no time.
A small tip for budget gaming build: Do you really need Windows 8? If not, you could consider getting cheap Windows 7 licenses floating across Amazon.

BMoreawesome

I have an i5/8gb model with an xbox 1. I made the switch from a gaming desktop($2000) and a ps3. I was really getting tired of playing games that were ported over to the PC because most games I play or will play are made for xbox 1 or ps4 these days. The SP3 has been everything I hoped it would be and then some. I have enjoyed the xbox 1 although I am getting use to the fps games as I always played with mouse and keyboard.