What's new

hooray - a new Fimware!

MickeyLittle

Wohoo, so it's hard to produce a properly working device? Poor MS, shall I send them a tissue?
Who else has made such a mess? Apples antenna gate was NOTHING compared to this, plus they have communicated the issue perfectly. And they didn't wait 2 months (at least) to fix it.

No, not we are acting like that - MS is acting like that.

Wohoo, they have nightly builds! Who has not?

Wohoo, they test. What did they test that made them believe that putting rubbish painting on a mobile device is a great idea?

I'm also working in this business so I know things aren't always that easy. But we are talking about Microsoft! And we're talking about their first own hardware computer. And we're talking about a product that can remedy Windows 8 reputation.
If this was the only issue, ok, but there are just so many bugs. And let's not forget that the SP1 had many of these issues already, so they really had all the time in the world to get them sorted out. I don't know if they can't or they don't want, however, this is just ridiculous.

Reach, help me out here buddy.... Apple communicated the issue perfectly! Steve Jobs comes out and says "Hey it's not us; it all you people. You're holding your phones wrong!" Now yes about 4-6 months after the issue was first discovered we did all receive a free bumper case/cover with a valus of around $20-$25 which was pretty sweet but I don't think the "you're holding the phone wrong" comment will ever be lived down by Apple lovers!

OP
R

reach

Reach, help me out here buddy.... Apple communicated the issue perfectly! Steve Jobs comes out and says "Hey it's not us; it all you people. You're holding your phones wrong!" Now yes about 4-6 months after the issue was first discovered we did all receive a free bumper case/cover with a valus of around $20-$25 which was pretty sweet but I don't think the "you're holding the phone wrong" comment will ever be lived down by Apple lovers!

FYI: I'm an Apple hater! But the speech Jobs held was astonishing. He clearly explained the issue and what they are going to do about it. (and he explained that it's half as bad and that all others also suffer from it. No idea how true this was) And I'm very, very sure that this was just a very few weeks after the issue came up. After all it was a Hardware Problem. MS's is a Firmware Problem which now takes them at least 2 months to fix. The biggest and greatest SW Company. Whow!

I just can't stop laughing about Ruffles' post. The more I hear how great MS tests their products the more ridiculous is the result.

MickeyLittle

FYI: I'm an Apple hater! But the speech Jobs held was astonishing. He clearly explained the issue and what they are going to do about it. (and he explained that it's half as bad and that all others also suffer from it. No idea how true this was) And I'm very, very sure that this was just a very few weeks after the issue came up. After all it was a Hardware Problem. MS's is a Firmware Problem which now takes them at least 2 months to fix. The biggest and greatest SW Company. Whow!

I just can't stop laughing about Ruffles' post. The more I hear how great MS tests their products the more ridiculous is the result.

Well all I know is that we're all stuck in the same boat together. We all have $1000 plus tablets and we all want to make sure that they are going to hold up for the long haul. Some of us have been more fortunate in that we missed out on the bad firmware fiasco and some of us are even so fortunate that we have the hopefully new and improved 4300u.

But right now there is pretty much nothing that any of us can do to get Microsoft to get this corrected any quicker than they are. And I believe that if you or I look close enough at any company over a long enough period of time we could easily write that company off and never do business with them again but what's the point of that! It's like my uncle, Ford done him wrong back in 1948 and so he ain't even looked their way since! (Example only here, I drive a freaking Kia...)

jrapdx

1:50 PM in Aridzona and no updates here for Surface Pro 1 :mad:

And no Update Waves out here in the Upper Left Coast. Though sometimes there are waves, and big ones, on the Columbia when the east winds pick up strongly. The Pacific, too, has been known to have some pretty impressive High Rollers from time to time.

Who would have thought it, MS Updates being kind of like the weather, at least about as predictable...

olimjj

To add some balance, I guess I am one of the fortunate ones who has not yet had any problems with the updates to date, and I own both machines, SP1 & SP2. I am considering having Microsoft take digital DNA samples of both my units in order to check for an immunity factor. :)

CreativeLemming

I'd take any communication that comes word of mouth from support with a pinch of salt. As soon as somebody receives it they'll be sure to post here, anything other than an official, public posting from MS is pure rumour and speculation.

As for releasing in waves, I wouldn't be surprised that for something this sensitive would be released slowly and surely - if there's any reported problem they can pull it before destroying everybody's devices...

Having said that, I'm keenly checking for updates :)

I take it all back, the update's arrived in the UK. Just installed it - no changelog included so don't know what it addresses but fingers crossed x it's the one we've been waiting for.

MickeyLittle

I take it all back, the update's arrived in the UK. Just installed it - no changelog included so don't know what it addresses but fingers crossed x it's the one we've been waiting for.

So far it was a very fast and painless update. Time will tell if and how much of a difference it actually makes. The only improvement that I would like to see would be battery life for me so some of you guys with issues will be the ones with the real info.

godson594

You know it was going to take some time from them. They already screwed up majorly with the bad FW update so they HAVE to get this one right. Think about how much revenue they lose when people return units because of firmware. Not only that but I would find it hard to continue purchasing future devices from them, my office was ready to buy MULTIPLE surface pros but we decided not to because of all the issues I have had with my device.

I think one of the reasons I was really as mad as I was is because EVERYONE I know was like "why the hell would you buy a microsoft surface?" then of course I get hit with a never ending list of problems. It's pretty embarrassing actually because I spent a lot of time explaining how cool the device is.

olimjj

Just curious, I am not disputing any of the statements made, but why is it, that many of the posters with the most acidic complaints and comments, do not have a My Device: entry??