What's new

Horrible pen lag on Flash Based Drawing sites

monopop

I've just purchased the surface pro 3. And so far i'm happy with it. Works good on photoshop and fitting my needs perfectly. Although I have a major lag issue on online flash based drawing sites. I like to draw online with my friends and it's obstructing my work alot.
When you make a short stroke keeping the pen in a small area, It lags tremendously and skips unless u make a long stroke. This makes it nearly impossible for me to draw detailed short lines and dots as it would lag for 1-2 seconds and jump somewhere randomly.
Does anyone have any solution for this? I disabled press and hold and flicks but those did not fix it.
The sites for example that I have problems with are www.flockmod.com and www.queeky.com

I hope some one has an solution for this as I bought the surface pro 3 for one of the reasons to use there.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is the latency to those sites? open a command prompt and issue command "Ping flockmod.com" ping the other site also.

How would you normally use these sites (before getting the SP3)?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just used flockmod on my sp3 (win 10) and it would not work on edge, but worked just fine on chrome. Exactly as much input lag as i'd expect from an online drawing app, but nothing like what you describe.

OP
M

monopop

I just made a fresh install to windows 10 yesterday and it works on edge without any lag at all. On chrome again it would suffer from the same problem. On firefox the issue is exactly the same, so I tried on internet explorer 11 out of curiousity and suprisingly no lag. so I suspect it's something related to flash on those browers as my 4710HQ connected to Pen display Monitor would produce the same lag.
Hughlle try this. Keep the pen on one spot for a second and make a tiny stroke . You'll notice that it doesn't want to make a stroke unless u make a 2+cm stroke. If you do manage make a stroke, the start of the stroke get pretty wonky unless u do fast long stroke, problematic on this site as the whiteboard is small and has limited space if many people draw.

I'm curious if more people can try this and replicate the issue to confirm.

Last edited:

leeshor

I just made a fresh install to windows 10 yesterday and it works on edge without any lag at all. On chrome again it would suffer from the same problem. On firefox the issue is exactly the same, so I tried on internet explorer 11 out of curiousity and suprisingly no lag. so I suspect it's something related to flash on those browers as my 4710HQ connected to Pen display Monitor would produce the same lag.
Hughlle try this. Keep the pen on one spot for a second and make a tiny stroke . You'll notice that it doesn't want to make a stroke unless u make a 2+cm stroke. If you do manage make a stroke, the start of the stroke get pretty wonky unless u do fast long stroke, problematic on this site as the whiteboard is small and has limited space if many people draw.

I'm curious if more people can try this and replicate the issue to confirm.
This begs the question, do you have only one Adobe Flash player installed, or 2? There is an ActiveX and a non ActiveX version.

OP
M

monopop

When I made a fresh install of windows 10, I had no flash player installed. It worked on edge though from the start so I have no idea if it's active X or not. I did install flash player later through firefox because I needed it run flockmod on it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did what you asked, and while a touch laggy (i have slow internet) it did not do as you described. I held the pen on the canvas, then pretty much as i moved it a few milimeters, it drew just as it should have. This was the same for both chrome, and now edge (which this time decided to load the room)

As to wobbly lines etc when drawing slowly, this is in my experience, something you will see across the board. I'm purely guessing here but i imagine that the software for inking is able to work out the speed of your line and change the accuracy and such to reflect this, and if you try and draw really slowly, it will then try and map the line pixel by pixel, and given the resolution of the display, our hands are just not that steady to do such pixel by pixel drawing in a smooth manner. But as i say, that's pure guess work, i've never used the surface for any serious drawing, just inking in onenote.

Quick question. Have you tried the desktop version and does it replicate th issue?

leeshor

When I made a fresh install of windows 10, I had no flash player installed. It worked on edge though from the start so I have no idea if it's active X or not. I did install flash player later through firefox because I needed it run flockmod on it.
But was it the non ActiveX version that would be compatible with Firefox? This is the most recent (non IE version http://filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_firefox/62113/ and the IE version, (ActiveX) was just released in the last 2 days or so.

OP
M

monopop

I did what you asked, and while a touch laggy (i have slow internet) it did not do as you described. I held the pen on the canvas, then pretty much as i moved it a few milimeters, it drew just as it should have. This was the same for both chrome, and now edge (which this time decided to load the room)

As to wobbly lines etc when drawing slowly, this is in my experience, something you will see across the board. I'm purely guessing here but i imagine that the software for inking is able to work out the speed of your line and change the accuracy and such to reflect this, and if you try and draw really slowly, it will then try and map the line pixel by pixel, and given the resolution of the display, our hands are just not that steady to do such pixel by pixel drawing in a smooth manner. But as i say, that's pure guess work, i've never used the surface for any serious drawing, just inking in onenote.

Quick question. Have you tried the desktop version and does it replicate th issue?
I tried the desktop version and it has the same problem. To be more exact try this. Make the brush size larger and keep the pen exactly on one spot. you'll see that on Edge/IEX that it makes a dot right away. On Chrome/Firefox, it doesn't make a dot/stroke unless u move it few mm/cm. This gives a 1 second lag for me and if you keep the pen on one spot. The whole application lags.

I downloaded a installer through adobe site for firefox. I'm sorry I have no idea though if it's activeX or not.

leeshor

I provided a link for the one for Firefox precisely because the one on the Adobe site isn't all that clearly marked or found.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried the desktop version and it has the same problem. To be more exact try this. Make the brush size larger and keep the pen exactly on one spot. you'll see that on Edge/IEX that it makes a dot right away. On Chrome/Firefox, it doesn't make a dot/stroke unless u move it few mm/cm. This gives a 1 second lag for me and if you keep the pen on one spot. The whole application lags.

I downloaded a installer through adobe site for firefox. I'm sorry I have no idea though if it's activeX or not.

I've only been able to achieve what i've previously posted. My issue with holding the pen down and not doing anything is that it tries to bring up right click.