Host process for windows tasks

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by C2Q, May 3, 2015.

1. C2Q

C2Q New Member

Hi,
    For the last little while my Surface pro 3 goes crazy and Windows hogs around 30% CPU the moment I plug it in due to Host process for windows tasks. I don't know what exactly it's doing, the command line only shows taskhost.exe.

This only happens after I plug it in after a while. It never happens on battery. It starts right away and then stops, then starts again in 5-10 minutes, then stops, and keeps repeating the same pattern for a while. How can I find out what is causing this? I have already tried disabling Windows search indexing and Onedrive sync.

It's super annoying because my temps constantly jump to around 70-80c for no reason every 5 minutes and the fan goes crazy.

2. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    I had that very same thing on my Surface Pro 3, about a week after installing the first Insider Build of Windows 10. That was November, 2014. Problem was solved with subsequent installs.

@C2Q, you probably need a Refresh.

3. C2Q

C2Q New Member

I'm still running on Windows 8 :(

I guess I might have to do a refresh..ugh...

4. malberttoo

malberttoo Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    A refresh, IMHO, is not that bad of a deal. I couldn't argue this, but I just think that the baked-in image that you get on a new SP3 is prone to issues. Even with a SP3 that was only a few days old, it was amazing how doing a full restore (not a refresh, but a complete factory reset) fixed a ton of little issues and made my SP3 a new completely healthy machine. It doesn't really make a lot of sense, but several other forum members have done the same thing and agreed with me.

My .02.

sharpuser likes this.