HOT new SSD for the SP4

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by GreyFox7, Jan 8, 2015.

1. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

The line up of new components for the SP4 will add to the pizzazz of the device not just the CPU/GPU.

Samsung has started manufacturing a PCIe (M.2) SSD that pulls off a rare trick -- it'll be the fastest drive your laptop has ever seen, while consuming almost no power in standby mode. The new SM951 SSD succeeds the Korean company's XP941, a drive that can already read data at a mind-melting 1.4 gigabytes per second (GB/s) clip. On newer laptops or desktops, its successor will shame that with 2.15 GB/s read and 1.55 GB/s write speeds (on PCIe Gen 3 tech) using new 10-nanometer-class MLC flash tech. It also sips 50 percent less power and only consumes a negligible two milliwatts in standby mode.
    [​IMG]

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...rier?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

[​IMG]

This looks like a perfect device for inclusion in the SP4

2. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I read about that several times today. The big unknown would be the added cost.

3. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

Meh, cost :)

4x Read/Write over SP3.
    Idle power of a similar ssd in SP3 is .3w vs .002w of this baby, that's a good cost benefit trade off. I'm already calculating the battery life benefits. :) and less heat to dissipate under load means more room for the CPU/GPU big dog.

4. macmee

macmee Active Member

If it runs cooler then great. I don't want my SP4 to be a space heater like my SP3.

5. JimB

JimB Member

A slot to remove it is fantasy but would allow seamless future upgrades.