What's new

how bad is "hey cortana" feature on battery life?

macmee

You can enable Cortana to always respond to "hey Cortana" - does anyone know how much this impacts battery?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using it for the past couple of weeks and haven't noticed any negative impact on battery....

I've disabled Cortana since it does consume more CPU in my experience. Also, Windows 10 botched MetroIE and now I'm stuck with Edge browser that doesn't block ads, consuming even more battery and CPU. Swiping back and forth as well as moving the page up when the on screen keyboard pops up is now defunct which would be annoying as heck when using in Tablet mode. C'mon MS! Put that tracking protection TPL back as well as touch gestures from Metro IE to your new Edge browser!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Extension Support is coming in the October Update if everything goes as planned, swiping and overall MUI IE use was quite low based on telemetry of usage patterns of Windows 8.x users....

Oh well. It's too annoying for me to move my finger on the top left corner rather than swipe right to go back... It would not really hurt if MS added those gestures as an option on the settings page....

MilesTeg

Extension Support is coming in the October Update if everything goes as planned, swiping and overall MUI IE use was quite low based on telemetry of usage patterns of Windows 8.x users....

Man that sucks to hear as I loved using IE metro on my SP3 when using it as a tablet on the couch. Is it possible they'll bring swiping to Edge?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just listening shouldn't impact the battery, if it did the NSA would have been found out long ago. :D

I read it does impact the battery - mostly because GPS is turned on. I would also like the cortana feature to be on (especially since it is really useful for the edge browser) but I value battery life far above it. If only we had some actual numbers...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I read it does impact the battery - mostly because GPS is turned on. I would also like the cortana feature to be on (especially since it is really useful for the edge browser) but I value battery life far above it. If only we had some actual numbers...
Cortana can't use the GPS on the Surface devices unless it is one of the LTE models as the rest lack a GPS module. Windows 10 does use location utilizing IP Triangulation.

Cortana can't use the GPS on the Surface devices unless it is one of the LTE models as the rest lack a GPS module. Windows 10 does use location utilizing IP Triangulation.

Ah then the location is what I meant. Regardless, it should still use up more battery.