What's new

Solved How can I change the default upload location in OneDrive for pictures taken with my Windows 10 Mobil

Plantje

The pictures from my Windows 10 Mobile device get automatically uploaded to OneDrive. That's perfect! However, they get uploaded to the folder: "Files" --> "SkyDrive camera roll"

Can I change that location? And if so, where can I do that?

For my mother in law it is worse. Her photo's get uploaded to: "Files" --> "familie foto's" --> "Harma" --> "Pictures" --> "Verkoop" --> "familie foto's"
According to Microsoft (asked this on the community as well) this is not possible. If that is true I think my mother in law has a really strange location for her pictures and I don't know (neither does she) how it got there!

OP
Plantje

Plantje

While a Microsoft employee mentioned that it cannot be done I figured out how this can be done...

Let me mention how it is is done here so perhaps other users can benefit from it.

It seems that the folder to which the pictures are uploaded has some sort of ID that will not change no matter what you do with the folder. I just moved mine from one folder to another. Then I made some pictures and saw them get uploaded to the place where I moved the folder to.
Next I renamed the folder and after making some new pictures I saw them nicely get uploaded to the folder that now has a new name and resides in a different folder on my OneDrive.

So, that is the way to change the folder where pictures get uploaded to. The camera app will just browse through OneDrive looking for the folder that has that specific ID. I don't know what happens if you delete the folder, but since we want the pictures to be uploaded there is no real use case there.

I really hate the fact that someone thinks it is useful or appreciated to mention that it cannot be done whereas he just didn't know how to. If you are unsure on how to do something tell people you don't know! Don't tell them that what they want is impossible!

Orlbuckeye

The pictures from my Windows 10 Mobile device get automatically uploaded to OneDrive. That's perfect! However, they get uploaded to the folder: "Files" --> "SkyDrive camera roll"

Can I change that location? And if so, where can I do that?

For my mother in law it is worse. Her photo's get uploaded to: "Files" --> "familie foto's" --> "Harma" --> "Pictures" --> "Verkoop" --> "familie foto's"
According to Microsoft (asked this on the community as well) this is not possible. If that is true I think my mother in law has a really strange location for her pictures and I don't know (neither does she) how it got there!

How to change your default save locations on Windows 10

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Is this supposed to be an answer to my question? :)
It is very well possible that I misread something on the page, but I see only possibilities to change locations of local files.

If you set your Windows Phone/Mobile device to automatically upload pictures to OneDrive they end up in a specific folder on OneDrive. I wanted to know how to change the name and/or location of that folder. But in the mean time I have found it.

leeshor

Not sure who marked it solved but it sounds like it isn't quite there so I unmarked it.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

I marked it solved and just did that again :) While I'm sure Orlbuckeye had the best intentions with his reply indeed it wasn't what I was looking for.
What I was aiming at was what I described in my second post in this thread. Some guy from Microsoft said it couldn't be done, but with some trial and error I did get there. And I described how so others can benefit from it.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Although I appreciate your replies I am wondering if you understand what I WAS looking for. And if you have read my response where I mention that (despite what Microsoft employees are saying) it is possible to change the folder where the uploaded pictures end up.

leeshor

You marked it solved, twice, but your posts indicate you are still not satisfied that you have a solution to your specific issue. It still doesn't sound solved to me.

Orlbuckeye

Although I appreciate your replies I am wondering if you understand what I WAS looking for. And if you have read my response where I mention that (despite what Microsoft employees are saying) it is possible to change the folder where the uploaded pictures end up.

Yes I understand but if you use tags you don't even have to know where the file is stored.

Ok i just went into the File Explorer and created a folder then I went into the new OneDrive app and the folder was there. I then copied a picture to that folder. I went into the OneDrive app and the picture showed. The new folder showed as a sub folder under pictures.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

You marked it solved, twice, but your posts indicate you are still not satisfied that you have a solution to your specific issue. It still doesn't sound solved to me.
Sorry, but what do you think is still unanswered then?

I was wondering on how to change the location of where the picture taken with a Windows Phone/Mobile device end up in OneDrive. Then in my second post I mentioned:
While a Microsoft employee mentioned that it cannot be done I figured out how this can be done...

Let me mention how it is is done here so perhaps other users can benefit from it.
So, I had it figured out myself. Only reason for responding is so that other people perhaps looking for the same thing may benefit from it.
Then after mentioning the actual solution I conclude:
So, that is the way to change the folder where pictures get uploaded to. The camera app will just browse through OneDrive looking for the folder that has that specific ID. I don't know what happens if you delete the folder, but since we want the pictures to be uploaded there is no real use case there.

Yes I understand but if you use tags you don't even have to know where the file is stored.

Ok i just went into the File Explorer and created a folder then I went into the new OneDrive app and the folder was there. I then copied a picture to that folder. I went into the OneDrive app and the picture showed. The new folder showed as a sub folder under pictures.
How on earth would I be able to tag pictures that get uploaded automatically to a location that I had to figure out. My mother in law's OneDrive was a mess. In the end I have found the folder (of which a lot of copies exist) to which the files get uploaded. I have renamed the folder to "Camera roll" and put it in a more logical location: "OneDrive --> "Pictures"

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Ok, sorry. That was a response to Orlbuckeye of which I really do appreciate the replies, because that's what's keeping this community alive. But at the same time I was wondering if he understands the issue :)

No worries. We got there in the end. Hope it is at least of use for one other person with the issue :)