What's new

How can I get the SSD replaced?

Sergioo

Dear ones,

I am starting a design course and I wish a 2-in-1 with Stylus.
After considering Vaio Z Canvas (wonderful but the keyboard does not stay put, so I can't use it on my legs), Vaio Z Flip (reports of unreliable Touchpad, noisy fans, not so portable as the Surface Pro 4, and difficult to find in EU), XPS 13 2-1n-1 (only Y serie CPU, only HD 615 GPU), and Yoga 900s (only M serie CPU, HD 515 GPU) I decided I wanted a S Pro 4.
But then I discovered that the SSD is just a Samsung PM951 and there is no way to open the device to replace the SSD.
I really really want a SM961. I can do that in the 900S, in the XPS, in the Vaio...
How can I do that in the S Pro 4?
Would a Tech Service be able to do that for me?
I saw a video how to open the device, lifting the glas of the display. I do not feel like doing that myself.
The Surface Book is same story.

What can I do?

OP
S

Sergioo

:)
Well, I could ask my dentist to replace the SSD on a SP4...

So, which kind of professional should I direct to? I mean, my first thought is to bring it to an authorized Surface Technical Service. If something like that exist (does it?).
But I wonder if they would accept to do such thing. So the second thought is to bring it to some generic computer service. But there I have no trust they can do the job done.
Suggestions?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Sergio,

I would use an external SSD, such as that SM961 in a very small enclosure.
Your Surface will never be the same after opening it up. The machine is "low maintenance" due to extremely small tolerances. It is unlikely it could be disassembled and re-assembled without permanent disfiguring.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From my perspective, there are 0 internal FRU parts in any of the Surface Mobile Devices. If they need to be fixed they are sent back to the factory for professional disassembly and the only part that is typically replaced are the Screens, SSD or cables. That is why the send out a unit instead of doing repairs, this is also why it cost ~$400.00 USD for a replacement if out of warranty as you purchasing a refurb unit.

OP
S

Sergioo

:)
Well, I could ask my dentist to replace the SSD on a SP4...

Ok, thanks for the answers. It is a pity. I really wanted a SP4.
I hope Microsoft will change idea about this. It is quite a common thing, that people want to upgrade SSD. An upgradeable RAM would also be a nice thing.
Otherwise they should sell devices with the best possible SSD and RAM.

So, I will have to choose between an XPS 13 9365, or one of the two Vaio Z devices (Canvas or Flip).
I love the Canvas for the power, but I don't think I can get along with a keyboard which does not stay put.
I like the Flip too but reports are that the Fans are loud, and I hate loud fans.
The XPS is lovely but I fear the HD 615 GPU may not be enough. I dont know though. It may be enough.
I dont play games, dont do video editing or 3D animation, or heavy photoshop, but I am going to study landscape design. No idea which softwares are used for that, I guess Autocad and Sketchup. Mostly it is just vectors. I really cant imagine it can be so heavy for the system. I would be glad if the XPS would be enough, I like it, and it's silent.
Does anybody here have experience/suggestions?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You sound well informed. I do video rendering on my Surface Book, and formerly did same with my Surface Pro 3 512. Both work great. I hope you find a nice quiet fast machine.

OP
S

Sergioo

Hmmm.
Does any of you know which model of SSD exactly is the 1TB one on the top configuration of the SP4?