What's new

How do I know if my pen has enough battery?

drolem

BTW, just as an FYI, the pen has two sets of batteries. Aside from the AAAA you all should've seen, there are two coin cell batteries in the pushbutton end. I think they are only used when the eraser button is depressed, so they should last for a long time, but I have seen them to die. That portion of the pen is a bit tricky to re-assemble, so don't take it apart unless you suspect that those coin cells are going bad.

drolem

Or you can buy a spare pen (no OneNote Button on these) but they are cheaper than the batteries.
They are definitely cheaper than the SP3 stylus, but I highly doubt that they'd be cheaper than the batteries. ;)

Those 1.5V coin cells should cost less than a buck a piece, even with the usual retail markup.

Nuspieds

I am so disappointed in and surprised by vendors who manufacture mobile devices, yet they seem to forget about their mobile consumer base!

You want me to carry spare AA, AAA, AAAA, etc. batteries? In this day and age, why??!! Rather, the device should be rechargeable via (micro) USB.

Those of us who are road warriors do not always have the opportunity to run to the corner store and get some replacement batteries exactly at the moment we need them--in particular if the device doesn't even provide a visual of when its batteries are low.

The best solution is to make the devices rechargeable via (micro) USB so that one does not need to rely on a retail outlet. Having to buy non-rechargeable spare devices/batteries isn't all that helpful because you still have to stress over how much power is remaining in the spare.

I certainly hope for the SP4 that the pen is rechargeable.

ctitanic

They are definitely cheaper than the SP3 stylus, but I highly doubt that they'd be cheaper than the batteries. ;)

Those 1.5V coin cells should cost less than a buck a piece, even with the usual retail markup.
They are hard to find and the last time I bought them I paid 6 dollars for 4.

Liam2349

I am so disappointed in and surprised by vendors who manufacture mobile devices, yet they seem to forget about their mobile consumer base!

You want me to carry spare AA, AAA, AAAA, etc. batteries? In this day and age, why??!! Rather, the device should be rechargeable via (micro) USB.

Those of us who are road warriors do not always have the opportunity to run to the corner store and get some replacement batteries exactly at the moment we need them--in particular if the device doesn't even provide a visual of when its batteries are low.

The best solution is to make the devices rechargeable via (micro) USB so that one does not need to rely on a retail outlet. Having to buy non-rechargeable spare devices/batteries isn't all that helpful because you still have to stress over how much power is remaining in the spare.

I agree, recharging the pen is a cool idea, but carrying spare batteries in whatever case your SP3 goes in isn't a big deal. I got 10 of the 319 coins from Amazon for £8, and 2x AAAA for £2.50.

Now I keep 2 of the coins in a pocket in my case, along with the pack of 2x AAAA. Not in the way at all, but make sure you have a suitable screwdriver on hand.

bluegrass

My advice is that if you have a problem and you think it may be a weak battery, change the battery and see if it fixes it. If you aren't having a problem, don't worry about it. We should always have spare batteries for a device that requires installing new batteries periodically.

Lobo

The best solution is to make the devices rechargeable via (micro) USB so that one does not need to rely on a retail outlet.

Actually, I think there's nothing better for professional road warriors than readily available battery replacements at every corner store.

Would you much rather put it up for a 3hr charge instead when you really need it at that particular time?

grumpy

The ideal solution would be for the pen to "dock" with the SP3 where the pen would be charged automatically.