What's new

How do I move groups on Modern UI?

Arizona Willie

I used to be able to do it but I've apparently forgotten how.

I can make groups on the Start screen but I cannot seem to move them.

I've tried everything. Holding down various keys while pressing on the group name and trying to drag it. Nope that didn't work.
I've tried using the mouse and with my finger but can't get the darn groups to move.
Yes, I click the " customize " button at the bottom of the screen but it still won't let me move the groups, it lets me name them and add icons but I can't move a group to the left to get it on the Start screen when it opens up.

This is since Windows 8.1 and whatever patches they have applied.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From the Start Screen, use the pinch gesture to shrink the screen (zoom out), then with your finger move the grouping to wherever you like...

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Thanks that did it ... thought sure I had tried that. I know I tried with my finger but think it was in Customize mode where you can make groups etc. Dunno why it wouldn't work then.

Oh well. Now I'm wondering how to do that on my desktop because I don't have a touch screen monitor. Hmmm.

From the Start Screen, use the pinch gesture to shrink the screen (zoom out), then with your finger move the grouping to wherever you like...

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Unfortunately, no, my desktop is using an old Microsoft Mouse that does not have a touch surface.
This Surface does have a touch mouse that I just put on it the other day. I'm having some trouble getting used to it.
But, since my desktop Bluetooth has died I can't put this mouse on the desktop.l
I can put it on my old Xoom tablet. This Logitech mouse has two channels so you can use a different channel on two computers and I did install it on my Zoom ( darn thing keeps changing my Xoom to Zoom ) the other night just as an experiment.

=======
Update: I found it !!!! :LOL: I got the icons to go small and show everything at once I believe by hitting the little minus sign that comes on the taskbar at the bottom right corner and then just left clicked and held the mouse button down and got the groups to move.

When oh when will they give us the ability to put the Icons where WE want them and to lock groups to prevent unwanted removal of icons or unwanted additions and to make them stay in the same place?

Has to be the biggest defect in Windows 8.

Does your desktop have a mouse that supports multitouch?

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

Last edited: