How fast is your OneDrive?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by note3, Oct 17, 2014.

1. note3

note3 Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Some days ago I bought and installed Office 365 Home and I got 1 TB drive space.

That’s nice I thought and uploaded 25 GB, this lasted a few days but after that it looked fine.

But ever since then (not before) I have time-problems with up- and downloading files.

Yesterday I uploaded 2 files (5 MB, 59 kB) from my PC. I was several hours online, so I am today, but I can’t see the files on my SP3.

What is your average up- and download time?

2. riggi

riggi Member

I use Dropbox, Google Drive, one drive and Mega. Out of all of them, Onedrive is ridiculously slow. Dropbox and mega are fast at syncing - up and down. Google is OK, but Onedrive sometimes sits there and does nothing even though all other Internet traffic is fine.
    This is on 3 different win 8.1 machines and a win 7 machine.
    Microsoft need to either buy Dropbox, or hire some of their staff to learn how to sync efficiently.

3. ctitanic

ctitanic Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    That information depends on your Internet Service. Now between all the cloud providers OneDrive is not the faster one.

4. ctitanic

ctitanic Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    You will see those files in your device if you have them to be used of line.

Capture.JPG

5. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

Case in point Netflix streaming on Verizon sucks. The actual problem is the interface between Verizon and another Network provider. Your neighbor on a different service provider may get much better performance. YMMV.

That said, if you initially got better performance, which it seems you did, you may be throttled by your service provider, it happens. i.e. they may have noticed a bandwidth usage spike and limited the throughput because they can.

6. Gerke

Gerke Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I have no problems with OneDrive from the Netherlands, I can upload with 100 Mb/s without any lag

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Syncing in the background for me is pretty quick even from my phone to OneDrive (I'm a heavy user of Office Lens). It depends on what you machine is doing, what Network Bandwidth is and how saturated it is, etc.

When I force sync it is instant....

8. bluegrass

bluegrass Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Don't different cloud services throttle connection speeds? If so they may throttle at different rates depending on how many accunts they have.

9. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Fast for me. I do iCloud, DropBox, EverNote, and OneDrive.

10. Aegeas

Aegeas Active Member

My Onedrive flies. I move stuff between my iPhone, Surface, and desktops all the time. What provider are you on? Xfinity screams, but any cloud performance is going to be all about your connection to the cloud.

11. Sliksock

Sliksock New Member

Dropbox is incredibly slow for me. I recently installed the Win10 tech preview on my desktop machine and it took overnight for it to download 15gb of Onedrive data over a wired cable modem connection that is capable of downloading at 12.5 megabytes per second. I then installed Onedrive on a MacBook Air and it took so long over the wireless connection that after about 4 hours I gave up and copied all the data off my Win10 pc onto a thumb drive and then copied from the thumb drive to the Air. I have looked this up on the internet and it is not an uncommon occurrence. iDrive and DropBox are much much faster, but I prefer Onedrive for many reasons, so I keep using it.

12. Kris

Kris Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Using Onedrive, for me, is like waiting form my dead grandma to cross the street. Most of the times I get transfer rates in low kb/s vs mb/s. I have found if you want a decent speed you should use Dropbox but that's not not going to be super fast either.