What's new

How is that a SP3 boots up considerably faster than an ipad air 2?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there not a difference between flash memory and fully fledged ssd?
For reference, my ipad air 2 just took 23 seconds to boot from cold, my sp3 (not cold boot, just a reboot) took 16 seconds (win 10, but no perceivible differnce)

Ask yourself this question: how many times did you have to reboot your iPad versus your SP3 in the last month ? The iPad boot-up time is irrelevant since you are never rebooting it except on system upgrades.

And not sure what is wrong with your sp3, but other than since i got 10 and have had a few understandable issues, my sp3 would never get rebooted, why would i?

kevinlevrone

And not sure what is wrong with your sp3, but other than since i got 10 and have had a few understandable issues, my sp3 would never get rebooted, why would i?

Come on...really :) If you look at your power menu almost every week, you will notice that instead of "Restart" and "Shutdown" the options are: "Update and Restart" and "Update and Shutdown". This means that Windows cannot complete the updates unless rebooted.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Come on...really :) If you look at your power menu almost every week, you will notice that instead of "Restart" and "Shutdown" the options are: "Update and Restart" and "Update and Shutdown". This means that Windows cannot complete the updates unless rebooted.

Really. I don't look at my power menu. If the device is working fine i couldn't care about updates. This is aside from the fact that i don't have internet at home so don't tend to get said updates ;)

Your point is invalid though. You state the only time you'd restart the ipad is because of updates, now you're using that same argument as to why i'd be restarting my surface, in short making your argument invalid. on 8.1 my surface worked just great, i never had to restart it, no different to this ipad, or both my nexus tablets.

It seems to me that you have a bit of a vendetta against the surface, your argument is nonsensical. By your argument, i'm never restarting the surface unless for updates, just like with the ipad as you stated. So what is your point then, beause by this, you have none.

kevinlevrone

It seems to me that you have a bit of a vendetta against the surface, your argument is nonsensical. By your argument, i'm never restarting the surface unless for updates, just like with the ipad as you stated. So what is your point then, beause by this, you have none.

I own a SP2 for one year and a now a SP3 for a few weeks, and I have a bit of vendetta against the Surface ? :) I'm just being realistic here, unlike others. The tablet-specific OS'es are built for completely different goals, they are so simple in nature compared to Windows that they allow you to never reboot your tablet because there is little to no inter-dependency between subsystems and apps. Windows on the other hand is a much more complex ecosystem built with a lot of inter-process and inter-application interaction in mind, and combined with the backwards compatibility problems, that's why restarts are needed much more frequently than on tablets. This is a fact that can't be denied and therefore comparing the iPad vs. Surface boot times doesn't make any sense at all.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I own a SP2 for one year and a now a SP3 for a few weeks, and I have a bit of vendetta against the Surface ? :) I'm just being realistic here, unlike others. The tablet-specific OS'es are built for completely different goals, they are so simple in nature compared to Windows that they allow you to never reboot your tablet because there is little to no inter-dependency between subsystems and apps. Windows on the other hand is a much more complex ecosystem built with a lot of inter-process and inter-application interaction in mind, and combined with the backwards compatibility problems, that's why restarts are needed much more frequently than on tablets. This is a fact that can't be denied and therefore comparing the iPad vs. Surface boot times doesn't make any sense at all.

This has nothing to do with the argument you were trying to make. Nor does boot times. You clearly tried to imply that a surface get;s rebooted a lot more than an ipad, because the only reason to restart an ipad was for software updates. Then when i tell you i never reboot my surface you try and argue that i must because of software updates. Hence why i stated your argument makes absolutely no sense. I have required no more restarts on my surface than i have my tablets, ipad or nexus. But then you tried to argue that surely i'm restarting my surface lots (which would go with your point) and then say i'd be doing it because of software updates (which would go against your point)

You may not have a vendetta, but your argument is utterly worthless right now.

kevinlevrone

This has nothing to do with the argument you were trying to make. Nor does boot times. You clearly tried to imply that a surface get;s rebooted a lot more than an ipad, because the only reason to restart an ipad was for software updates. Then when i tell you i never reboot my surface you try and argue that i must because of software updates. Hence why i stated your argument makes absolutely no sense. I have required no more restarts on my surface than i have my tablets, ipad or nexus. But then you tried to argue that surely i'm restarting my surface lots (which would go with your point) and then say i'd be doing it because of software updates (which would go against your point)

You may not have a vendetta, but your argument is utterly worthless right now.

Even besides the updates, there are so many reasons that Windows needs restart that this discussion shouldn't even exist, really. When something doesn't work, what do you do ? You restart Windows as a first measure. On a tablet, when something doesn't work, you just restart the app or clear the app data and if it doesn't work then nothing else will make it work.

Also, how many people shutdown their Windows device/computer/laptop/tablet (thus needing to boot it the next time) when done working, versus how many people shutdown their iPad when they're done working ?

It's like you refuse to see the elephant in the room. I'm not going the continue this discussion, but by now it should be clear for anyone who takes a honest, non-biased look at this issue.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someday soon Apple will be forced to distribute updates more frequently and more completely as well including updates for more of the known vulnerabilities.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even besides the updates, there are so many reasons that Windows needs restart that this discussion shouldn't even exist, really. When something doesn't work, what do you do ? You restart Windows as a first measure. On a tablet, when something doesn't work, you just restart the app or clear the app data and if it doesn't work then nothing else will make it work.

Also, how many people shutdown their Windows device/computer/laptop/tablet (thus needing to boot it the next time) when done working, versus how many people shutdown their iPad when they're done working ?

It's like you refuse to see the elephant in the room. I'm not going the continue this discussion, but by now it should be clear for anyone who takes a honest, non-biased look at this issue.

So i'm a liar then? I've not had to restart my surface, deal with it.. with 8l1 the only thing that sometimes didn't work, was wifi, and for me, the only thing i had to do, just as with my tablets, was turn wifi off and on again.

Why are you having such a hard time accepting that i restart my surface no more than i do my tablets?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someday soon Apple will be forced to distribute updates more frequently and more completely as well including updates for more of the known vulnerabilities.

This isn't the point he was trying to make though. Yeah, there are more frquent updates on windows than on apple. He is trying to argue that the surface HAS to be restarted frequently because of reasons unrelated to updates. Then when i told him i dodn't need tp restart my surface, he tried to argue that i must do, because of updates. His is contradicting his own argument.

He claims he has no vendetta, yet today i've seen him do nothing but complain about one thing or another for invalid reasons and then express shock (or in my case essentially call me a liar) when people don't agree with his assessment.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This isn't the point he was trying to make though. Yeah, there are more frquent updates on windows than on apple. He is trying to argue that the surface HAS to be restarted frequently because of reasons unrelated to updates. Then when i told him i dodn't need tp restart my surface, he tried to argue that i must do, because of updates. His is contradicting his own argument.

He claims he has no vendetta, yet today i've seen him do nothing but complain about one thing or another for invalid reasons and then express shock (or in my case essentially call me a liar) when people don't agree with his assessment.
I'm making a different point or points.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm making a different point or points.

Sorry. My mistake. However your post relates directly to what he and i are "discussing" restarts due to updates. (well he wasn't trying to make that point, until i told him i don't restart my sp3, then he tried to backtrack, and blah).

Where were you going with your point about apple having to offer more frequent updates in regard to boot times? Or was it in regard to a post earlier in the thread?

Kif

You think? I'm under the impression since iOS is so locked down and limited its more inherently secure. Not to say iOS is perfect because its limitations. Microsoft biggest thorn is legacy support. I bet Microsoft would love to stop supporting the previous OS everytime a new OS was released.