What's new

How is that a SP3 boots up considerably faster than an ipad air 2?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You think? I'm under the impression since iOS is so locked down and limited its more inherently secure. Not to say iOS is perfect because its limitations. Microsoft biggest thorn is legacy support. I bet Microsoft would love to stop supporting the previous OS everytime a new OS was released.
Exploits are related to return on investment. Research shows iOS users spend more than any other group so the potential return on capturing the prize is becoming increasingly enticing.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You think? I'm under the impression since iOS is so locked down and limited its more inherently secure. Not to say iOS is perfect because its limitations. Microsoft biggest thorn is legacy support. I bet Microsoft would love to stop supporting the previous OS everytime a new OS was released.

From what i've read when it comes to viruses etc it seems this argument goes both ways. Because apple is locked down and deemed more secure, it seems that holes are being exploited and it takes a lot longer for them to be identified and fixed because everyone is in a "it's secure" mindset.

InspectHerGadget

Windows is unfortunately targeted by hackers. iOS is no doubt at all much safer, no antivirus required. I'm a computer technician and I'm forever removing, mainly, Javascript based malware but sometimes much worse stuff. There are also other issues that can happen with software, windows updates etc..

To me the iPad is great, I love it. It is fairer to compare it to the Surface 2 though as it is a mobile device, not a complete laptop replacement. The Surface 2 gets the thumbs up big time though and it is very secure whereas anything with full Windows on it, you have to be careful as it can get malware very easily.

I should point out too that probably most people on this forum are well informed and technically proficient and so probably don't get flummoxed by minor malware on browsers but many people get freaked out.

I think the iPad and Surface 2 are great choices for being secure but the Surface 2 is more versatile. I simply use my iPad for browsing, email and Facetime, a bit of music but my SP3 is my laptop and business machine.

ptrkhh

To me the iPad is great, I love it. It is fairer to compare it to the Surface 2 though as it is a mobile device, not a complete laptop replacement. The Surface 2 gets the thumbs up big time though and it is very secure whereas anything with full Windows on it, you have to be careful as it can get malware very easily.
In my opinion, Windows RT is a missed opportunity. It should've been the replacement of those "Linux" or "no OS" variants on laptops and desktops. After all, the user couldn't go anywhere but spending their money on Windows Store anyway. Google survived that way. At the same time, Windows RT makes a great OS for half-computer-literate people. I mean, it has Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, it cant get viruses, no antivirus required, no malwares like "PC Optimizer whatever", "Get Free Games whatever" or "Google Chrome". That sounds a lot like the perfect OS for those people. Yet, Microsoft limited it to a small tablet with ARM CPU, a device that those people wouldn't buy to replace their laptop. Had Windows RT shipped with $300 laptops back then, Chromebook would have no traction at all by now.

InspectHerGadget

In my opinion, Windows RT is a missed opportunity. It should've been the replacement of those "Linux" or "no OS" variants on laptops and desktops. After all, the user couldn't go anywhere but spending their money on Windows Store anyway. Google survived that way. At the same time, Windows RT makes a great OS for half-computer-literate people. I mean, it has Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, it cant get viruses, no antivirus required, no malwares like "PC Optimizer whatever", "Get Free Games whatever" or "Google Chrome". That sounds a lot like the perfect OS for those people. Yet, Microsoft limited it to a small tablet with ARM CPU, a device that those people wouldn't buy to replace their laptop. Had Windows RT shipped with $300 laptops back then, Chromebook would have no traction at all by now.

I agree. I couldn't understand at the time why they didn't release a nice little laptop running RT with a bigger screen. I hope that they retain RT and release Microsoft branded products in different screen sizes and configurations including possibly a laptop.

ptrkhh

I agree. I couldn't understand at the time why they didn't release a nice little laptop running RT with a bigger screen. I hope that they retain RT and release Microsoft branded products in different screen sizes and configurations including possibly a laptop.
Just let HP or other OEMs build one, theyre competent in building the cheapest device with the thinnest plastic possible and the most illegible screen in the world.

ptrkhh

The cheap netbooks that used to run Linux I assume.
The variant that ships with free OS, designed specifically for you to install your own copy of pirated legitimate Windows, because the OEM only provides driver for Windows.
Here comes the benefit of Windows RT again, it couldn't be easily replaced with another OS, pretty convenient to prevent piracy.