What's new

How many people here own a drone

leeshor

I just recently got "very" interested in drones. I have a customer, (a commercial property photographer), who was into modifying drones long before most people heard of them. He has 5 now and some were REALLY expensive. Even my barber has 2 drones and is building another one from parts this time.

I went for the gusto and got a DJI Phantom Vision 2 +. I'm learning how to fly in one room of my basement. Normally you can't fly those in a room smaller than a small gym. I figure if I can master not hitting the walls I can fly anywhere. ;);)

So far it's working out fairly well, only gone though 6 props - even with prop guards. But the camera is still in one piece. ;)

kundas1

I would luv to get one of those! its so fun flying around and filming stuff! I have a friend who has one and he can go super far! I think he uses his cell phone to control and fly it!

OP
leeshor

leeshor

The cell phone's WiFi has serious distance limitations. This drone comes with its own WiFi extender and can easily fly out of sighte. You can connect a cell phone to the WiFi extender so you can still use the cell phone to control the video and flight parameters but it can fly much farther with the extender than it would be able to fly just with the cell phone.

Last edited:

kundas1

oh-really-owl.jpg

OP
leeshor

leeshor

Here is one going out 3.8 miles and and back. Actually the previous model. I have a plan, but not for that far.;) If it loses contact with the controller it will return to the starting point by itself. Try that with a phone.....

OP
leeshor

leeshor

Not where I hang out. There are quadcopters, hexacopters and even octocopters, not to mention RC planes and helicopters, and the biggest shop in this area that sells them has no problem calling the first 3 drones.

OP
leeshor

leeshor

There are some decent ones with fairly short flight times for as little as $40, (some even less). Great starters. Just do a search on Amazon for "drone"