What's new

How Secure is Your Keyboard Pen Loop?

wynand32

On the one hand, I'm not too terribly worried about mine falling off, and it's attached as Microsoft recommends to the back of the Type Cover. I've gotten it caught a few times on things when I'm moving things around, and it hasn't come loose yet.

On the other hand, I'm not SO comfortable that I didn't buy the HTC pen for $10 when it was available. I keep it in my bag just in case I'm out and about and I do lose the official pen. The HTC version works well, just doesn't support the OneNote integration (natch).

Actually just looked it up for kicks, and it's still available for a good price: $11.99 as of right now. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Digital-J...id=1409419286&sr=8-1&keywords=htc+digital+pen

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I attached the loop actually to the inside of the keyboard on the long side of the keyboard, about 1" from the right edge. I originally positioned it on the short edge but then when I was going to put it into the pouch I have for it , the pouch would have ripped the loop off. I was a bit nervous about repositioning it but actually it seems to have re-attached very securely in it's present home

Liam2349

I don't use the pen loop. I had a look at Franks method but I wasn't comfortable with it. Although the pen clip is in a slight recess, it's still possible that pressure could cause damage.

When Carrying SP3 and when generally using it, I magnetically attach the pen, like SP2.

DeltaXray

The pen loop is such a bad design it is clear is was an afterthought. Really cheapens the whole experience. I attached mine to the right of the 'Surface' logo on the front. Every time I put the pen in there the thing almost comes off, so I think I might just detach the loop and just find some other way to store the pen. I wish Microsoft had put more thought into this.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Should have put some strong but small magnets along the top of the device, and the bottom of the keyboard. Then the magnets could aid in keeping the cover closed in a bag and not accidentally turning your machine on, and could also hold the pen. Or due to going for functino over form meaning a silo is not possible, how about a silo just for the pen clip?

mitchellvii

The pen loop is such a bad design it is clear is was an afterthought. Really cheapens the whole experience. I attached mine to the right of the 'Surface' logo on the front. Every time I put the pen in there the thing almost comes off, so I think I might just detach the loop and just find some other way to store the pen. I wish Microsoft had put more thought into this.

With mine attached behind the volume button on the left it is very sturdy and never even hints at coming off. The fabric of the loop loosens up a bit after some use and the pen slides in and out easily without being so loose it could fall out. I have no problem with this design. Works perfectly for me. I'd rather have this than a tiny Samsung style pen.

OP
FlySwatter

FlySwatter

If MS doesn't eventually (as in the next Surface) find a way to incorporate the pen storage as part of the tablet build itself, via a hole in the top from where it can be ejected/extracted, thus not altering the tablet form factor at all, I will consider that an epic fail on their part. I now it's tough to get all of this performance into this form factor, AND then expect them to cram a pen inside as well, but they'd better find a way to it.

DeltaXray

Pen loop came off this evening, again. And now its not going back on, only the 3rd day of ownership.

Really all it needed is a little slot in the top corner of the device you could slot the little clip on the pen in so it is somewhat physically attached to the device, in the same way you slide the pen into the groove of the type cover. The whole pen doesn't need to be docked, you just need to be able to slide the clip in. Surely they could have allowed for that, although it would be blocking the vent on one side of the device.

malberttoo

If MS doesn't eventually (as in the next Surface) find a way to incorporate the pen storage as part of the tablet build itself, via a hole in the top from where it can be ejected/extracted, thus not altering the tablet form factor at all, I will consider that an epic fail on their part. I now it's tough to get all of this performance into this form factor, AND then expect them to cram a pen inside as well, but they'd better find a way to it.

I use to complain about the very same thing. No pen silo, no pen garage, WHAT are they thinking!? On the SP1 and SP2 it's a valid complaint.

But on the SP3, and every device after it... where are they supposed to put it, with the pen being thicker than the SP3?

Every SP that comes after this will probably be incrementally thinner and thinner, so I have pretty much realized we'll probably never see a pen silo on the Surfaces.

DeltaXray

I use to complain about the very same thing. No pen silo, no pen garage, WHAT are they thinking!? On the SP1 and SP2 it's a valid complaint.

But on the SP3, and every device after it... where are they supposed to put it, with the pen being thicker than the SP3?

Every SP that comes after this will probably be incrementally thinner and thinner, so I have pretty much realized we'll probably never see a pen silo on the Surfaces.

As I said earlier, IMHO the perfect solution would just be a slot you could put the pen clip through. The whole pen doesn't need to be stowed away, just clipped on. I'd even settle for a slot on the back we could hook it on to.