bluegrass

Surface won't power down but stuck on a Black Screen:

Volume Rocker Up and Power Button - 10 Seconds
Wait 10 Seconds
Power Button - Surface wakes back up

Surface won't Power Up:

Volume Rocker Down + Power Button = Power Up

Advanced Boot-up from a powered down Surface:

Press and Hold Volume Rocker Up + Power Button + release both = Advanced UEFI Screen (Touch Screen should work, but you can also navigate via the Volume Rocker and Windows Key)

CTRL - ALT - Delete:

Windows Key + Power Button

Print Screen:

Volume Rocker Down + Windows Button

Just want to let you know that I copied and pasted these into a Word documnet and saved it to a cloud in case I ever need these non-keyboard tips. I guess Microsoft burys this kind of information somewhere but I haven't run across it. Out of curiosity, where does the print screen file wind up if you don't have a printer connected. Is it like standar PC's where the print screen only goes to memory and you need to paste into something like Word in order to use the print screen?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I"ve been ctr-alt-deleting it seems like all my life and now that I have this SP2 Pro 256, I never even wondered about it. Now I have to ask, why would you want to do a Ctr-Alt-Del on the Surface. I just tried the Windows Key & Power switch as jnjaroach suggested and my computer screen went blank. I had to press the power switch to get back and login again. A Ctr-Alt-Del combination on my desktop Windwos 7 computer takes me to a menu of choices such as locking the computer for one. Now what would you want to do with Ctl-Alt-Del on the Surface. There are several things that I'm use to doing with a keyboard that I can't do with the screen keyboard and when I run into one that is stopping me from working, I plug in my Type 2 keyboard and hack away.

Hold the Windows Key and Power at the same time will bring you to this screen:

Lock-Windows-8-from-Ctrl-+-Alt-+-Del.png

Useful to get to Task Manager in case of a lockup or to Change Your Password in an Active Directory Network (Corporate).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just want to let you know that I copied and pasted these into a Word documnet and saved it to a cloud in case I ever need these non-keyboard tips. I guess Microsoft burys this kind of information somewhere but I haven't run across it. Out of curiosity, where does the print screen file wind up if you don't have a printer connected. Is it like standar PC's where the print screen only goes to memory and you need to paste into something like Word in order to use the print screen?

It creates a folder in the Pictures Folder called Screenshots