What's new

How to connect an Xbox 360 controller to an Microsoft surface RT

justkickit

Edit* This also works with WIndows 7!!!!!!! Like many people alot of us have Xbox 360 controllers and we think to our selves
If this is a Microsoft product we should easily be able to connect it like a Plug n Play device right?
Well unfortunately no it doesn't just install all the needed drivers and magically work once you shove the Usb in the Surfaces available port. But im happy to tell that it is actually very easy to do an ill show you here. * Note THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH THE CHARGE AND PLAY KIT!!!!!!

Before you start read below first

***********************************************WARNING***************************************************
FOR THIS TO WORK YOU MUST HAVE EITHER THE XBOX WIRELESS DONGLE OR THE XBOX 360 WIRED CONTOLLER!!!!!!
PC_Wireless_Gaming_Receiver_for_XBOX_360__White.jpg13197039110.jpg

Once your dongle is acquired try plugging it in first and see if the there are updated drivers if not keep reading on.

#1 From your tiles screen swipe from the right bezel to bring up the charms menu and press search, type in "Control Panel" and select the option that says control panel....Or if you know any other way of getting there do it.
8389316653_bb8db11e77_b.jpg

#2 When the control panel pops up there is an option called Device Manager click that.
8389316621_78486abd1f_b.jpg

#3 The device manger screen should pop up. You see a list of device and things connected scroll down to "other devices" and expand it by clicking it once its expanded you see an option with a yellow triangle next to it, this is the OS recognizing that something is connected but no driver has been assigned to it yet. Now long pres that option or right click then click update driver software...
8390402028_4610977975_b.jpg
4# A new screen should pop up NOW PAY ATTENTION TO THIS PART!!!! * Click Browse my computer for driver software
DO NOT CLICK THE FIRST OPTION
8389316589_19b68e5ac8_b.jpg

#5 Now a new screen will pop up with the option of being able to pick from a list of device drivers on the computer click that
8389316569_77fe5f3114_b.jpg

#6 Heres the part that i was talking about earlier depending on what you bought youll want to install what you bought so in my case i have the wireless dongle so i chose Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows and clicked next
8390401948_ec134287c3_b.jpg

#7 It will give you a warning but just click yes
8389316533_71b48b2773_b.jpg
#8 Let it install
8389316525_8a27b97323_b.jpg

#9 Then enjoy your game!
8389316675_f9e8f3f0ea_b.jpg

Heres a link to controller compatible games written by Magicrobots http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-games/3066-xbox-controller-compatible-game-list.html

Last edited:

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Actually my wireless-dongle was installed instantly by Windows RT, but thanks for this manual. I'm thinking of making it sticky or/and move it to the How-to-section.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Actually my wireless-dongle was installed instantly by Windows RT, but thanks for this manual. I'm thinking of making it sticky or/and move it to the How-to-section.

I vote for sticky in games. This where most people will probably look for it :)

OP
J

justkickit

A sticky would be nice lol also i did a Nintendo Emulator guide as well im sure alot of people wouldn't mind see that as well

R0bR

I tried everything with the Charge and Play cable and even thought the cable was recognized by the Surface the controller wouldn't work at all. Every time I turned on the controller my Xbox in the basement would turn on. I ended up buying a wireless receiver and everything works great.

jbrewer99

so I have the surface pro and purchased an xbox controller with the play and charge kit. I plug it in and it is recognized in device manager as that and appears like it should work but it doesn't. I have tried several games like riptide and jetpack joyride and none work or seem to respond when I try to remap controls. The green lights around the xbox button just flash on and off. Anyone have any ideas?

Hstakz

so I have the surface pro and purchased an xbox controller with the play and charge kit. I plug it in and it is recognized in device manager as that and appears like it should work but it doesn't. I have tried several games like riptide and jetpack joyride and none work or seem to respond when I try to remap controls. The green lights around the xbox button just flash on and off. Anyone have any ideas?

The play and charge kit doesn't send data through to the surface for using it like a actual controller. All it does is charge it and wont allow you to use it like a controller even if there are drivers for it. Trust me, I learnt the hard way ;)

magicrobots

Yeah I think the original post should be edited to reflect that the play/charge kit doesn't work and you need either a wired controller or the wireless dongle.