What's new

How to copy entire "drive" to a replacement SP4

swbca

I do network support for an business. I use Windows disk imaging all the time to restore or even transfer entire windows installations to replacement laptops.

I just setup a Surface Pro 4 for a user and she dropped in a week later and broke the screen. If it was a Win7 laptop I would create a System image to an external drive and restore to the replacement system. Since the old unit will be off the network I would not run sysprep on the new one. Just transferring user data is not enough because there are hours of labor in the installation and configuration of apps. I know I have to deal with licensing and activation on the replacement unit.

So will this work with a built in system imaging tool in Win10 on Surface like it does on Win7 notebooks ?

Last edited:

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

If you are familiar with using the system image and you are still able to use the SP4 well enough to make one it should work nearly the same way as it did on Windows 7. There is a more flexible backup imaging app that a lot of people on the forum have used that's free, It's called Macrium Reflect and the free version works quite well.