What's new

how to install intel drivers

Kris

I have searched, ok half assed, but I can not figure out how to install Intel's latest drivers on my surface pro 3. it keeps telling me that I'm not allowed or something. Anyone know a way around this?

kozak79

Download the zip version of the driver and uncompress. Go to device manager and find display driver and click to update driver, manually browse to the graphics folder of the unzipped driver.

mitchellvii

Actually that may not work.

Unzip the driver file, delete your current driver and reboot then run the setup.exe from the unzipped folder. This definitely works.

Don't use the beta driver, its buggy.

kozak79

Worked for me every time. I never had to uninstall previous driver, using the zip download works fine.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Worked for me every time. I never had to uninstall previous driver, using the zip download works fine.
You have to use the Have Disk Option No? just browsing to, the directory with update driver gave me the already have the latest message.

Then you have to Refresh to get rid of it because uninstalling doesn't really work right.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the reason to install this driver?
Don't install it unless you cant live without some feature it provides. its not Connected Standby optimized so you'll give up battery life. my experience was that my CPU/GPU temp ran 10c hotter and the Sleep study said Intel HD Graphics was active during sleep.

mitchellvii

The driver gives you access to the HD Control Panel. If you like to dial down the gamma to get really black blacks this is essential. I set my gamma at .6 and blacks are as deep and inky as any super amoled screen. I hate gray fonts.

My cpu is running quite cool even with the Intel drivers.

drsqueggy

Ok, I had the drivers from the Intel site installed most of this morning, I went to reboot my computer about 10 minutes ago and it was saying update and restart so I did this and its reverted back to the stock drivers! Is there anyway to stop it doing this?

mitchellvii

Ok, I had the drivers from the Intel site installed most of this morning, I went to reboot my computer about 10 minutes ago and it was saying update and restart so I did this and its reverted back to the stock drivers! Is there anyway to stop it doing this?

Yes. Set your Windows updates to install manually. The SP3 video driver will be called a "hardware performance" (or something like that) update. Highlight that, right click and hit "Hide". That way you won't accidentally lose your Intel drivers.

Unfortunately you have to now reinstall the Intel drivers.