What's new

How to make the Surface Pro a killer product

Vasculata

J515OP .. you seem to be an MS defender.

That is OK but it is a bit wearing.

E.g. I have no idea how you can claim to know whether potential buyers think the Surafces are tablets or ultrabooks. I can tell U that when Best Buy had a $100 off sale on ALL Win 8 computers, I treid to buy a PRO ... BB would not sell to me at that price because the Surface "is a tablet not a computer."

Lets be honest .. Steve B lacks the Steve J magic TV touch. if Jobs had put his imprimatur on this design, folks would have given him one more award as the Edison of his times (gak). The fanfoks would treat the Apple-Surface as a NBT (Next Big Thing) rather than trying to say that it needed to be compared to an ultrabook.

IMHO, the surface SHOULD BE the NT, but MS ham handled promotion could kill the NBT.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

@ Vasculata...so, do you own a Surface? Edit: Sorry, yes you do. You have both a Pro and a RT...yes?

@ J515OP...ohhh...now you are a MS apologist, fanboy, ummm...no! You are a MS defender!

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
J515OP .. you seem to be an MS defender.

That is OK but it is a bit wearing.

E.g. I have no idea how you can claim to know whether potential buyers think the Surafces are tablets or ultrabooks. I can tell U that when Best Buy had a $100 off sale on ALL Win 8 computers, I treid to buy a PRO ... BB would not sell to me at that price because the Surface "is a tablet not a computer."

Lets be honest .. Steve B lacks the Steve J magic TV touch. if Jobs had put his imprimatur on this design, folks would have given him one more award as the Edison of his times (gak). The fanfoks would treat the Apple-Surface as a NBT (Next Big Thing) rather than trying to say that it needed to be compared to an ultrabook.

IMHO, the surface SHOULD BE the NT, but MS ham handled promotion could kill the NBT.

Are you a MS hater? That is OK but it is a bit wearing. See how that can be turned?

The fact is I am not a MS defender and use more Android devices than Windows devices. What I am is a defender of logic and at least a semblance of fact and reason. I realize that a lot of what is said here is opinion, this is after all an open internet forum. However, I do not like blatant misrepresentation or fallacy from people here any more than I do for the "tech expert" bloggers and will call out both for poor reasoning and FUD.

I don't claim to know whether potential buyers think the Surfaces are tablets or ultrabooks but you seem to suffer the same confusion as the people at Best Buy. You might want to read this post for clarity on my position http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...581-rt-pro-screen-comparison-2.html#post17593.

The fact is that the form factor "tablet" doesn't make a device a tablet in the sense of common usage which is taken to mean a mobile computing device running a mobile OS and mobile processor. This may change in the future but for now "tablet" in common usage means iPad. So how do we differentiate an ultrabook from a "tablet"? The easiest and most defined way is to look at the processor and OS. In this case running a traditional processor such as a Core i5 and full PC Os means ultrabook as in the case of the Surface Pro. Running a mobile ARM processor with an OS that is not a full PC OS means a "tablet" such as the Surface RT. The classifications for discussion must come from the hardware and OS when discussing performance and related battery life and not the shape since it is not relevant to performance. If you were debating the design/ergonomics/ports of the Pro vs. RT vs. iPad you could make a valid comparison and have a discussion regarding the tablet form or shape but that was not the point being addressed.

No matter how you slice it the Surface Pro is a PC which happens to fall in the ultrabook category (An Ultrabook is a higher-end type of subnotebook defined by Intel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrabook) and comparing it to anything other than a PC is the same as comparing apples and oranges, literally. The Surface Pro happens to be an ultrabook in the shape of a tablet which at its most basic means: a small flat slab.

JP

Last edited:

Hstakz

I hope the surface pro 2 comes packed with features that would make this thing a beast!
Thinking:
4th Gen Intel core i5 (quad core)
6-8GB of memory
256GB SSD storage
and a KILLER docking station/keyboard equivalent to the type cover but adds 1GB of graphics, more battery life, few USB3.0,and full Hdmi output.

I think microsoft can pull most of these off-(Don't know about the 1GB of graphics but still possible).

J515OP

Super Moderator
I hope the surface pro 2 comes packed with features that would make this thing a beast!
Thinking:
4th Gen Intel core i5 (quad core)
6-8GB of memory
256GB SSD storage
and a KILLER docking station/keyboard equivalent to the type cover but adds 1GB of graphics, more battery life, few USB3.0,and full Hdmi output.

I think microsoft can pull most of these off-(Don't know about the 1GB of graphics but still possible).

Now this is how to make the Surface a killer product and is my hope too! :D I will also add that the integrated graphics should be DP 1.2 if that is not already the case.

malberttoo

What I am is a defender of logic and at least a semblance of fact and reason.

Well said. I do take exception to the OP's statement that battery life is "universally derided", when in fact most early reviewers, while of course disappointed with the battery life, accepted it. The Surface Pro has an i5 processor... no way you are getting stellar runtime from a small device running an i5, and having the space limitations that the battery has to conform to.

It's just the way it is right now. I just assumed we all knew that going into it, which is why it surprises me to hear complaints still about battery life.

The Surface Pro IS an ultrabook, with the exact same specs as any similar device. It's just that in this case, someone smashed the innards into a space that is half of what one usually sees, and then put a digitizer on it. I believe though that most of us would consider that a feature, and not a bug. :)

I truly believe that it is the first of its kind, and I will be giving it time to define the category that it's in. Up til now "tablet" referred to devices that were largely meant for consumption, but what do you call a device that blends a tablet with an ultrabook? It's simply not constructive to have arguments where the device is relegated to one category or another. It is, IMHO, the best of both worlds. There are some drawbacks to the union to be sure. I get a shorter run-time than an iPad. It is a little heavier than most "tablets". But as a network admin, it does absolutely everything I need to do, and in such a wonderfully small package! Ink right into OneNote. Connect to any printer in the vicinity. Open and edit Excel spreadsheets, and use Outlook. It's just an amazing device, and the pros heavily outweigh the cons.

And I am no Microsoft defender, or anything else like that, just trying to make this argument with reason.

As far as making the Surface killer... like previously mentioned, PEN SILO. Have no idea at all how MS scuttled that concept. You KNOW someone MUST have said "here's where the pen is stored" and someone else said "nah, screw it. We don't need pen storage". That person is a moron.

Also I feel like the 1920 resolution is way overkill on this size screen. Having to pump the DPI up to 150 just make too many things look goofy.

mitchellvii

Moving this screen size to 11.6" would solve a lot of problems. The fact that the ATIV 700 and the Thinkpad Helix have gone 11.6" should tell MS something.

Just bought this case to solve the pen storage issue:

Amazon.com: Manvex Slim and Compact Leather Folio Case Cover for the Microsoft Surface PRO Tablet with Windows 8 | Built-in Stand with Multiple Viewing Angles with Stylus Holder - Also compatible with the Type Cover and Touch Cover from Microsoft (Ke

71NByWxdCkL._SL1200_.jpg

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Moving this screen size to 11.6" would solve a lot of problems. The fact that the ATIV 700 and the Thinkpad Helix have gone 11.6" should tell MS something.

Have you've used an 11.6"? I have, it is an unwieldy form factor to use as a tablet, works ok as a laptop but not as a tablet. 10.6 is a great compromise between the mass of 10.1 Tablets and the 11.6 Ultrabooks and Hybrids.

mitchellvii

Have you've used an 11.6"? I have, it is an unwieldy form factor to use as a tablet, works ok as a laptop but not as a tablet. 10.6 is a great compromise between the mass of 10.1 Tablets and the 11.6 Ultrabooks and Hybrids.

No I don't find 11.6 unwieldy at all. Yes it is larger yet thinner since they have more space to spread out the electronics. The fact that established hardware companies like Samsung and Lenovo are choosing that size should tell MS something. Unlike MS I am sure they actually focus group their products with real people prior to release ;-).

The Surface Pro is an ultrabook you can use as a tablet. As such the user should have access to a full sized keyboard. 11.6" is the minimum you can have for a full sized keyboard.

tonyz3

Before getting the pro I had a Fujitsu, Samsung, and asus All 11.6 digital screens form win 8 ,at first I enjoyed them. but since getting the pro I enjoy the smaller screen. But it has been reported that ms will put out 11.6 screen size.

mitchellvii

Before getting the pro I had a Fujitsu, Samsung, and asus All 11.6 digital screens form win 8 ,at first I enjoyed them. but since getting the pro I enjoy the smaller screen. But it has been reported that ms will put out 11.6 screen size.

My primary issue with the smaller form factor is that some of my legacy apps, like my Access Database are just a little small at this size. 11.6 would be perfect. Glad to hear MS is considering it. Can you link me to an article about that?