What's new

How to not show your email address on Login / Lock Screen - Windows 10

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 displays a user's name and account id (email address) on the login screen by default. In public places, other people can see your name and email address as revealed by Windows 10.

If you do not wish to have your email address shown on the login (lock) screen, you can disable that option. However, if you disable the option, you will have to type your username in addition to your password every time.

1) Start REGEDIT
2) Browse to this key
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

3. Modify dontdisplaylastusername

0 - means show user name and email address
1 - means do not show user name and email address - completely type in every time

4. OK, Exit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Screenshot (159).png

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a way to use an alias for logon? perhaps one you could set locally instead of displaying full user name and email address just display the alias and you enter the password or you enter alias and password.

Full name:John Q Public
Email: [email protected]
Alias: LoneRanger

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a way to use an alias for logon? perhaps one you could set locally instead of displaying full user name and email address just display the alias and you enter the password or you enter alias and password.

Full name:John Q Public
Email: [email protected]
Alias: LoneRanger

No there is not a way to use an alias. You could use a different local username, however, but the bookkeeping becomes troublesome.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Curious, My SP3 installed updates this morning, rebooted and displayed a shortname rather than the Full name and email address however, the keyboard was dead so I couldn't logon. rebooted again and this time, Full Name & email displayed, still couldn't logon keyboard unresponsive again. rebooted, this time I had to enter my email address and password nothing was displayed by default as it was previously set.

It also seems I was drafted into the preview program as I now have an option to "Uninstall latest preview build" Note: I have never previously installed a preview build.

I also no longer have the Option to Review Updates before they are installed. Just, install automatically or Schedule Restart. I was previously set to Notify me of updates.

Windows as a service is getting low marks from me for poor and inconsistent service. They are treading on very thin ice here.

Update: Found how to keep from getting updates... keep your battery in a perpetually low state with Battery Saver mode on... it wont download updates in battery saver mode. :)

Update2: I also have a *NEW* Alert at the top of Windows Update - Advanced Options indicating "Some settings are managed by your organization" I'm not in a domain so I assume that organization is Microsoft and is another indicator of my assimilation into the "Insider Preview Program" Resistance is not an option, I have crossed the event horizon into the black hole never to return.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Yeah there's definitely something fishy about usernames for logins on Windows 10. When I go to the screen to disable the requirement for passwords on boot up, it refers to me as 'inthe' which is part of my email address. If I add my actual username, it then comes up with two users!? Didn't have this problem with Windows 8.

Also, on my computer I left at home when I moved out... I have me set as the main user, and mum as secondary user. With Windows 7 it'd get to the screen to make the choice who you want to log in as, however with Windows 10 it now automatically logs straight into my mums account!? Very strange, although not complaining as it's basically hers now lol (until I can convincer her to buy a Surface)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well after a few hours it seems It sorted itself out or someone hurriedly reversed the assimilation protocol and I have now escaped the Black Hole and am no longer an unwitting participant of the Preview Program.

Although I haven't gotten my original Windows Update setting back... *yet* it may be a matter of time or celestial body alignment... we will see ... :)