How to prevent Hardware Updates in Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3' started by neurohax, Nov 15, 2015.

1. neurohax

neurohax New Member

Hey all,

I've been using the manually installed Intel drivers (v x.19.15.4300), and found than more stable than 4256, which is included in the 10/26/2015 Hardware Update. In Windows 10 pre-TH2, you could select an option in the advanced system properties to prevent driver updates. But, that option was removed in TH2.

Even though I selected the 'No' option in the Advanced System Settings control panel (Hardware tab, Device installation button), it is still automatically installing the hardware update following a reboot.

I have not tried hiding the update because I assume it will just identify the display driver as unsupported again and try to install an even earlier hardware update. Is the only option to defer all upgrades and install, say, monthly, followed by a manual reinstall of the display drivers?

Thanks.

2. theveterans

theveterans Member

No issues with mine running latest updates. Currently there's no other way around it.

3. Compusmurf

Compusmurf Active Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    you have to say no, then there's a standalone .cab file from microsoft that you can block specific items.

HOWEVER, a firmware push will make you redo all of these.

4. samurai

samurai Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Found this somewhere. But I am not sure if it works with surface devices also. Worth a try.

Open Devices and Printers control panel.

Right click on the icon that is your computer name

Click on Device Installation Settings

Change from Yes toNo, let me choose what to do and set whatever level you want.

Save the changes and close it all up.

This *should* prevent windows from changing the driver used for a device, regardless of what is in your local driver store.

5. neurohax

neurohax New Member

That's gets you to the same setting I mentioned above. It works under Win 8.1, but not 10. When you select "No" there are no additional options that appear. Thanks for trying.