How to re-open previous session in IE

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Forum' started by zhenya, Jan 15, 2015.

1. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Since switching from Chrome to IE11 there have been a number of small issues I've been trying to adapt to. One of the frustrating ones is that IE is far less persistent about preserving my open tabs when I have to shut down the browser. I think I have every option set to remember my tab history, but if I close the browser or restart the computer I often get only my home page tab when I open it next and then have to open the other tabs manually from my history. Is this behavior expected or is there a way to change it?

2. Metalman

Metalman Member

Try going into Internet Options > General > Start with tabs from last section.

See if that helps.

3. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Yes, I have already set that. On occasion it will restart with those tabs - say if I close the browser and then immediately re-open it, but it does not persist say if I reboot or through other factors I have not yet identified. The result is that it rarely actually does what I hoped it would do.

4. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Nope, on two different Win 8.1 computers if I manually close the browsing session, I only get my home page tab when I reopen IE.

Any other thoughts?

5. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

I also realized that my T440s has touchpad gestures that work for back/forward in IE! Why doesn't the SP3 have these??

6. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Active Member

Maybe because it has touchscreen that has exactly the same gesture

7. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Not in desktop IE.

8. JoKelly47

JoKelly47 New Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    I have searched for 2 ways to reopen the entire browsing session on Internet Explorer (desktop).
    • Activate your IE browser. Tap or click the "New tab" button on the address bar (or press Ctrl+T) to open the new tab page, and then tap or click "Reopen last session".

• Press "Alt" key to open the menu bar, tap or click "Tools", and then tap or click "Reopen last browsing session".